Rod Seam Calibration

Discussion of STAR*NET related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Rod Seam Calibration

Postby dmurtha7817 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:45 am

Most surveyors use multi-section fiberglass barcode rods for differential leveling. The seams between sections can introduce systematic errors. The article in California Surveyor #174 starting on page 28 (http://www.californiasurveyors.org/cals ... urv174.pdf) describes a process for quantifying this error.

It would be very nice if StarDNA and other leveling data converters corrected for rod seam errors.

It will probably require a proration since I have been told by my equipment manufacturer's representative that the digital level reads the entire section of rod visible in the telescope. This to me tells me that a transformation is applied, so the amount of rod visible in the telescope above and below the rod seam will probably weight the transformation. So, it seems to me that if one third of the rod image is above the rod seam, then the rod seam error would contribute one third of the calibrated error for that particular rod. If two thirds of the rod image is above the rod seam, then the rod seam error would contribute two thirds of the calibrated error for that particular rod.
dmurtha7817

Return to STAR*NET