[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - Wist List Part II

Wist List Part II

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Wist List Part II

Postby surveytech1 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:52 pm

Two items we would like to see;

1) The ability to change the elevation of a stakeout or an offset stakeout point. This was something that was previously available.

and

2) When staking a line between 2 points with elevations, the point staked along that line would have a interpolated elevation value.

Thanks,
Jesse
Thanks,
Jesse N. Goins, Jr., LSIT
Project Manager
Lumsden Associates, PC
surveytech1

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:51 am

Hi Jesse,

Item 1) Yes we did remove this in the 2006 version because it was too easy for someone to accidentally change the elevation of a point. You can edit the elevation of your point prior to staking it which is what we recommend. This way, the changes are saved in the raw file so you have a history of your elevation modifications.

Item 2) This is on our feature request list.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

removing Z values

Postby Grant » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:11 pm

Am I missing something or has the the ability to erase Z values disappeared in FG2006?

It looks like I have to edit each point individually and set the z value to zero now, not a very efficient way to do it.

What I'd really like to see is the ability to tell FieldGenius not to collect Z values at all. That way I wouldn't have to keep a list of points to edit later on. Maybe another option under the target height button would work.
Grant

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi Grant,

If you don't want to carry elevations then I would suggest making sure your starting setup in your project has an elevation of zero. Then all you need to do is leave your HI and TH fields set to zero.

Yes it was removed because it seemed that nobody used it. This is the first time someone has asked about it.

We have had request to have the ability to set FieldGenius in a "2D" mode. This request is on our wish list.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Grant » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:52 pm

That technique would certainly work, but usually I do want to carry elevations. Its just that there is almost always a few shots from each station that I don't want elevations on for one reason or another.
This must happen to more people than just me, I suspect others will miss that function as well.

Setting FG to a 2D mode would be a great feature, if I can turn it on and off at will.
I can see one downside though... shooting a couple of hundred shots thinking you're in 3D mode and then discovering you're in 2D mode. :evil:
Grant

Yes for 2D, no elev's

Postby cadrum » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:46 pm

Working in sunny, but relatively flat, Florida I do 95% of my work in 2D so I would like the option to not create elevations. I currently bring Acad points into FG 2005 from an ASCII file with 0.00 for elevation, but all of my newly collected points in FG get elev's like 2.56 to -5.03 and this is with zero for instr. and rod height.
cadrum

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:34 am

If you read the FG files into MSCAD2005, there is a toggle on the Re-coordinate dialog box, to process all points as 2D only. (this also works for any other collector files read into MSCAD2005, or any manually entered data, being it is processing the traverse file in MSCAD2005)

So for those desiring a 2D set of points back in the office, this may assist you.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby CHRIS L » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:53 am

guess I dont comletely understand what the big deal is with having elevations attached to the points unless the software you are using to calculate the survey data with is actually inversing the slope distance and not horz. distance.....

can someone further explain your reasoning since elevation on any point has never seemed to effect any work we have ever done
CHRIS L

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:06 am

I don't think the calulation side of things is the problem, in most cases. It can become an issue with some drafting routines, expecting 2D linework, and not working with 3D linework. So if you draw a line from a 3D point using object snaps, the slope line gets drawn rather than a horizontal line. So if you need to do any editing of the drawing, it can become an issue, when 3D lines do not actually touch or cross.

In the field it may have other ramifications when staking, etc.

2 cents.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Grant » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:59 am

For legal surveys there is no issue, I don't care at all if elevations are recorded or not, I ignore them all. Topographic work is different.

Shooting building corners is usually the problem, especially with a reflectorless instrument.
I can shoot a building corner anywhere from ground level to eave with the laser, but the elevation recorded is completely useless, and must be ignored.

However if I shoot the top of foundation or a roof peak for example, maybe I do want the elevation. If I'm using the prism, the elevation is correct for the ground height unless I've had to raise it up over some obstruction.
Fences are also a problem, sometimes you shoot with the prism along the post and get a ground elevation, other times you set the prism on the top of the post.

Currently I have to make note of which shots I want to keep the elevations and which ones I want to delete. FG2006 removed this ability.

I know some people get around this by ignoring all elevations associated with features like building corners and trees and shooting topo shots separately. I'd rather kill two birds with one stone when I can.
Grant

Return to FieldGenius