Installing FG2006 Upgrade

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Installing FG2006 Upgrade

Postby jmahun » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:59 pm

I'm installing the FG2006 ugrade on our Trackers. I'm trying to uninstall FG2005 as per page 8 of "Installation Instructions for the Tracker" but have run into a snag.

I tried first following the Remove FieldGenius Using Control Panel instructions.
After completing step 4, I received the following error message:
"The program has not been removed because the following files are currently in use or read-only. Please close all programs (using the Task Manager tab in System Settings, if necessary) and run Remove Programs again."
The part of the file name I can see is "\Windows\MicroSurvey FieldGenius.Unload" (it may be longer but extends beyond the window).

I can't find the "Task Manager tab in System Settings". I went to Start > Settings> Control Panel > System, but there is no Task Manager tab there. I can't find a file similar to "\Windows\MicroSurvey FieldGenius.Unload" on the Tracker so I can't check its read-only attribute.

Then I tried following the Remove FieldGenius Using ActiveSync instructions.
I was able to establish a Guest connection and de-selected FieldGenius from the list. Everything appeared to go well, except FieldGenius 2005 is still installed on the Tracker.

I've tried a warm reboot on the Tracker, but am still unable to uninstall FG2005.

I have 13 Trackers to update - there's got to be a simpler way to do it.
jmahun

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Hi Jerry,

If you download the following file you can use it to update your Trackers.

http://128.121.250.210:8000/FieldGenius2006/FieldGeniusII2.0.4.cab

1) Download the file to your computer.
2) Copy the CAB file to the SystemCF directory on the Tracker.
3) On the Tracker, browse to the SystemCF directory.
4) Double tap the CAB file which will start the installation.
5) You will see a dialog asking you where to install it, simply press OK.
6) You might see a message about FieldGenius being already installed. If you do, just press Yes to re-install it.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby jmahun » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:14 pm

There's a FieldGeniusInstall.cab file (16.6 MB) in the SystemCF folder. Should I delete that one first?
jmahun

Postby jmahun » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Downloaded and installed FieldGeniusII2.0.4.cab OK. It did give me a message about FG 2005 already being installed, but I Ok'd past that. After completion, FG 2006 fired up fine. But FG 2005 is also still installed. Are there specific FG 2005 files I need to delete or does it make any difference?
jmahun

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:53 am

Hi Jerry,

If you were to do a hard reset I think you would find that the FG 2005 shortcut will dissapear from the desktop. Alternatively, you can just delete it manually if you want by doing a tap+hold on the shortcut, then select delete from the properties menu.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the cab file I posted is for the Custom Keyboard Trackers. Is that what you have?

After installing you should only have one shortcut on the desktop and it should be called FieldGenius.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby jmahun » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:26 am

I don't know - what's a custom keyboard tracker? We purchased ours at the end of 2004.
Jerry
jmahun

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:26 pm

The custom keyboard Trackers have shortcut labled on the plastic bezel. If your Trackers have a membrane, then you will need to delete a file called a_msurvey.rmt from the system32 directory and reset your Tracker.

The a_msurvey.rmt file remaps the keyboard on the newer style Tracker.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby jmahun » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:56 am

Thanks for the information.
jmahun

Return to FieldGenius