Cursor autotracking

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Cursor autotracking

Postby Alex Leonard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:04 am

My understanding is that enabling cursor autotracking causes the display of FieldGenius to automatically center on a shot just taken. Am I correct in this?
Am I also correct that the button to toggle this on/off is the one with two black crosses, next to the total station button on the Map view screen?
If so, then my set-up is not allowing this button to be turned on (always greyed out). Any ideas.
I'm running FG-2006 2.0.4 (2006-03-15) on a Dell Axim connected to a Sokkia SET330R.
Alex Leonard

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:43 am

I can confirm that you have the correct button and here is what the help file says it does: "This turns the auto center feature on or off. If turned on, when ever you take a measurement, the current prism location will always appear in the center of your Map Display."

So you are correct on both of those points.

To allow it to be active, you need to have occupied a setup point and shot a backsight point. Then it should be available to turn on.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Alex Leonard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:56 pm

Glen,
thanks for the speedy reply.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T. wrote:...here is what the help file says it does:...

Your post sent me scurrying to find the Field Genius "help file". I had mistakenly assumed the "FieldGenius2006.pdf" in the "desktop help" folder was a primary source - but it apparently does not contain this information. But sure enough, the windows help file does have it. I also found it in the data-collector help files - once I knew to open the "Instrument Tollbar" htm file. Is there an index or search mechanism for the data collector based help files?

But back to the issue:
...To allow it to be active, you need to have occupied a setup point and shot a backsight point. Then it should be available to turn on.

I have not succeeded in turning the feature on as you describe.
Any ideas?

Best wishes
Alex.
Alex Leonard

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:13 pm

The cursor tracking button will not work if you have not setup an occupy point and shot the backsight, have you done this?

Our instrument (also a sokkia 530r3) is currently on the road at a trade show so I am unable to test it at this time, but using manual mode instead of the sokkia it seems to be working properly.

The data collector help files are launched by clicking on the (?) icon at the top of most screens. There is no index or search functions for these, the help file which is installed with the emulator can be used for searching.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Alex Leonard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:37 pm

Brian Sloman wrote:The cursor tracking button will not work if you have not setup an occupy point and shot the backsight, have you done this?

Brian, yes both out in the field and just now in my office. I have a set up and backsight correctly displayed on the map view, but the cursor-tracking button remains "grayed out" and innactive.

Ale.
Alex Leonard

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:06 pm

The Cursor Tracking button is disabled if you do not have the robotics license.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to FieldGenius