Topcon Bluetooth and FG2006

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Topcon Bluetooth and FG2006

Postby rgreen00 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:19 am

Can anyone tell me how to get bluetooth with the Topcon GPT 3005LW and my Tracker with FG 2006 with the recommended Bluetooth card installed in the Tracker to work????
rgreen00

Postby CHRIS L » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:49 am

just in general.....as long as both as set to recieve a signal....I have always jus started up both bluetooth devices let them search and find each other. Unless topcon has some special procedure, it cant be that difficult..

If Jason and the guys here cant get you figured out, try the www.RPLS.com survey message board. I know there are some guys there running the Topcon Bluetooth instruments with BT data collectors.
CHRIS L

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:11 pm

Hi There,

Do you have a Tracker Xtreme, or are you using a CF Bluetooth card?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby ianw2 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:11 pm

I've got the appropriate BT card stuffed into my Traker and I'd like to have the question answered, too.

My question is a bit more general, though: What are the Tracker settings to access and trasnmit through the BT card? Do I need to change port assignments, etc.?
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby Brian Sloman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:04 pm

To check which port to use, click on the Bluetooth icon in your system tray, then pick Advanced > My Bluetooth Device. On the COM Ports tab, it will show a COM# for "Bluetooth COM Port". This is the COM port that needs to be set in FieldGenius for communication using the bluetooth connection.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

bluetooth...

Postby rgreen00 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:10 pm

Thank everyone for their responses....Brian worked it out with me on the phone today, and his post pretty well covers it...we did discover on my instrument that you need to disconnect from the instrument before turning the Tracker off....I did that, and it seems to work fine now...

Thanks again everyone...

Ian...

I am really enjoying this system, as I was pretty sure I would.
I did buy a new instrument to use it with (TopCon GPT 3005LW Reflectorless), and am also glad for that addition to my equipment arsenal..

Thanks for your comments and help back in the spring of the year...

Randy Green
rgreen00

Postby ianw2 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks for the tip, Brian! I’m heading into some nasty brush tomorrow and it would be nice to leave the cable at the truck! ;^)

Anytime, Randy!

I've found Brian to be a real source of useful information (as oppoed to twadle that doesn't work but sounds good). He's worth every penny Darcy is paying him.

I’ve always liked Topcon equipment. It has always seemed to me that their stuff is solid and reliable. Their approach has always been to allow me to do what I do best, the way I do it, not making me learn THEIR way. Their service and technical support has always been first class. The Topcon staff are real professionals who seem genuinely interesting in making my life easier.

Woof!

That sounds an awful lot like MicroSurvey, too!
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi There,

I am glad Brian was able to help you out. We just posted several technical notes on connecting the Tracker via Bluetooth to other devices.

You can view the documents at:

http://www.microsurvey.com/support/fieldgenius/documentation.htm
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius