ASCII Point File Export

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

ASCII Point File Export

Postby surveyjoe » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:13 am

When I export an ASCII point file, why do you only allow the file to be created within the current project folder?

I have and always will create ASCII point files in my CAD package and save them to my computer hard drive (D:\survey).

When I transfer them to my Ranger, I copy the point file to "disk\data".

FG2006 allows me to browse for the file to import, but when it is time to export the points I can't use the same file that I originally used for import.

Is there some logic to why FG2006 operates this way?

Why do you not add the ability to browse for the file to export points?

Thanks

John
surveyjoe

Postby CHRIS L » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:14 am

I dont see the problem with keeping all the job files together. That way if something gets changed, you dont end up with multiple coord files floating around your computer for the same job. Saving a possible screw up if you upload a wrong coord file back into your DC

For what its worth, if you use Microsurvey Transfer to download your Data Collector to your Computer, you can designate where it puts any file on your computer. It also works the other way....you can designate where you upload files into your data collector as well.
CHRIS L

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:29 am

Hi John,

Our logic in the beginning was to try hard to keep all project files together in one folder. That way everyone always knows where to find things from the field crews, to the office staff.

I understand that this might be restrictive for certain people so this item is on our request list for a future revision. However, this item often gets moved to the bottom of our list because only a small percentage of our customers ever complain about it.

P.S. Your request to show the description for the point you are staking will be added to the 2.0.5 build.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby surveyjoe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:36 am

Hi Jason,

Could you also shed some light on what is being done about the following:

1. When I tap on a point and choose to delete it, FG2006 asks me if it is ok to delete point XXX?
You have a great big screen with a lot of empty space on it. Why not list the point parameters such as Northing, Easting, Elevation and Description instead of just the point number?

2. When I tap on a point and choose to stake it, the next screen (Stake Points) lists the Northing, Easting and Elevation. Why do you not also list the description of the point? There is plenty of space to list the description if you would re-arrange the window such as

N 1234567.89' E 1234567.89'
EL 1234.56' Desc TOP/BANK

Currently you list it as:

Northing: 1234567.89'

Easting: 1234567.89'

Elevation: 1234.56'

My suggestion only takes up 2 lines while your's takes up 5 lines.

3. The information for staking such as IN, OUT, LEFT, RIGHT and HD seems to be in a smaller text than version 2.0.4
It was hard to see already. Why make the font size smaller?

4. The RTK demo does not work once I choose my area for the coordinate system. You don't seem to give the ability to set the initial point for the RTK demo. The demo worked in FG2006 2.0.4

5. Why do the DXF layers default to being on the next time I open a project? Currently I have to keep turning off un-needed layers everytime I open the same project.

6. The stakeout information for angle to turn and distance to go needs to be bigger so it is easy to see. The current font is too small.

7. It seems to me that FG2006 depends on point numbers to much. You need to also list the point description whenever you list the point number. If I am going to delete or stake a point, the point number is indeed important, but the point description is more important. It doesn't mean anything to me if you ask "Delete point XXX" or "Stake point XXX". It does mean something to me if you ask "Delete Iron Pin Found" or "Stake PC=2+00.12". Why are you guys so weak on listing descriptions along with the point number?

8. You also have a default description for storing staked shots called "Design Point XXX". Will you please give us the option to name our own default staking description. You could add this to the "Stake Options" and give us the option to edit it to something else. The "Design Point XXX" default clutters up the AutoCAD screen. I prefer to call all my stakeout points "STK XXX" which results in a cleaner AutoCAD screen when viewing the points.

For everyday surveying and what I use FG2006 for, these corrections are about all I can think of. I really think your beta test version of FG2006 2.0.5 is a big step in the right direction.

Thank You

John
surveyjoe

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:07 pm

1) In 2.0.5 we will now display the description along with the point id.

2) In 2.0.5 we will now display the description.

3) In 2.0.5 there are now icons that depict if you are within your stake tolerances (green) and (red) if you're not. In previous versions you only saw these icons when your shot was within the staking tolerance. To accomodate this new functionality we had to make the text font size smaller.

4) The RTK demo uses a file that has GPS data that was logged here at our office. For the demo to work correctly it needs to use the UTM83-11 zone. There are currently no plans to change this.

5) FieldGenius doesn't save your layer settings - this is on our feature list for future enhancement.

6) Valid comment - this has been put on the feature list.

7) Valid comment - we will take this into consideration when we build new routines.

8. This is on our feature request list.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

FG 2.0.5?

Postby Alex Leonard » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:31 am

Jason,
Did you say 2.0.5?

The sticky at the top of this forum says 2.0.4 is the latest release.
When/where will we see "5"?
What changes are there in the new version?

Alex
Alex Leonard

Postby Alex Leonard » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Jason Poitras wrote:Our logic in the beginning was to try hard to keep all project files together in one folder...."

On the subject of folders and file locations:
I think I too am not in-synch with Microsurvey with respect to file and folder organization.
Ever since I installed MSCad2005 and FG2006, I have had issues with file locations:

1. Every time I run the desktop version of FG, I have to explicitly point out the location of my default Automap library.

2. Am I clear in thinking the FG expects all "jobs" to be directly (one folder level) under "jobs". Can I or can I not have "jobs/sub-job" (e.g. "jobs/Smith 0706/Smith topo 072106" and "jobs/Smith 0706/Smith design 072306")?

3. Ditto for MSCad

4. On my desktop PC I keep all of my survey data on a different drive than my MS program files. I often find myself having to help MSCad locate files on other parts of the system. Its as if the program thinks my data files are not where they are supposed to be...?

5. Can I (easily) keep separarate automap files for some jobs (as well as a default) that is stored with the job data?

6. Can I teach the transfer program to check the default automap library and not others?

I have the feeling that the MS developers (probably for the sake of uniformity and lack of confusion) are trying to define expected file locations and folder structures (e.g. folder names?) for job and resource files.

To get myself back in "synch", it might be helpful for me to have a list of "default" or "assumed" folder locations and folder structures that MSCad and FG expect to find things. Also I would like, if possible, a list of folders and files that both programs "create" when I start new (or rename/save-as) jobs...

Thanks
Alex
... I can conform, I think... I'll try... I promise... ;-)
Alex Leonard

Postby surveyjoe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:45 pm

FieldGenius 2006 Version 2.0.5 is a pre-release beta that has been distributed to a few users for field testing before being officially released.
surveyjoe

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:49 am

1. FieldGenius always points to the AutoMap file you've set as the default. The default setting that FieldGenius is shipped with is survey.csv but if you select your own csv file and make sure you select the "Save As Default Settings" in the Unit Settings screen the msurvey.ini file will be updated with the current AutoMap file you have loaded.

2. If you manually create the sub folder, you can define this as the new project directory from the Project Manager in FieldGenius. To do this, just press the button that currently displays the project path and select a new one.

3. Again the same applies for MSCAD, simply choose a new project directory using the Project Manager.

4. The project manager always points to the last directory you used. Some of our routines always default to certain directories, ususally Jobs200#.

5. I can't see any reasons why you can't.

6. The transfer program always checks all AutoMap libraries based on the settings in the Transfer Options dialog.

FieldGenius always assumes that everything will be located in the Project Directory defined by the user. The default is FG Projects, but this can be anything you want.

As for MSCAD, we always create a Jobs200# folder and look there by default for files.

I hope this helps clarify things.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius