Dell Axim, Leica & FG

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Dell Axim, Leica & FG

Postby stsurvey » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:58 pm

I'm in Australia and our local Leica dealer isn't interested in supporting FieldGenius. I'm trying to setup FieldGenius on a Dell Axim 51v to connect with a Leica TCRA1105 using a Bluetooth RS232 adapter connected to the Leica download cable. FG says that it is connected but it doesn't seem to be communicating (Angle measurement error). I suspect that the cable has been tampered with and the pins aren't in the correct positions. Does anyone know what the correct pin map is for the Leica cable? There are only four wires - red, blue, green, & white. Blue reads -5.6v, white & red both ground and read 0v, green reads 0v.

Does anyone use the Axim with an RS232 cable and if so which? Gomadic?

Does anyone use the Archer data collector?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
stsurvey

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:15 pm

Hello,

I would confirm that you have the angle setting on the instrument set to Degrees, minutes and seconds.

I would also confirm that you are computing the zenith angle 0° has being straight up. I seem to recall on the Leica instrument you can define the zenith 0° as being forward.

Last thing to check is to make sure your measure screen is displaying HA and VA angles as well as a slope distance.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Did you get your problem resolved?

Postby Alex Leonard » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:00 pm

I havn't scanned this bulletin board in a few months, so just noticed your post.
I have been successfully using a setup very similar to the one you described except that my Axim is and X30 and my TS is Sokkia (without internal BT).
Works great!
Did you resolve your problem, or could you still use some input?

Alex.
Alex Leonard

Postby stsurvey » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi Alex,
I had to buy a new download cable from Leica to find out the pin arrangement. It turns out that it wasn't the cable but the FG setup I was trying to use. Darcy told me to use Geocom instead of GSI and we got connected.

My next project is to find a way to power my bluetooth adapter from the Leica. The BT needs 5v and at the moment I have it connected to a battery pack.

Steve.
stsurvey

Postby CHRIS L » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:51 am

If you check out www.rpls.com ....you can find posts on the bluetooth setups. Most guys are just using a small box with the battery and BT unit inside. So far no one has figued out a way to power it from the Leica itself.

I know you can get the BT units with the internal Lithium Battery, but from what I have heard its only got like a 4-5 hours life before it needs to be recharged, so it sounds like the battery box is the way to go for a full days work.
CHRIS L

BT adapter power

Postby Alex Leonard » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:46 am

What I have is a standard data cable from the TS, an "Air-Cable" DB9 RS232-BT adapter (~$65) and a disposable 9V battery. The Air-cable has an external power jack will accept DC between 5 and 12 Volts and draws very little. A premium-brand 9V battery gets me about 40 hrs on-time in the field (and I carry a spare). I made up the battery to air-cable connector from parts from Radio Shack for about $10 and 20 mins of my time.

The cable-adapter-battery assembly dosn't look very snazzy. I just hook it on the plumb-bob hook on the underside of my tripod and let it dangle there. I disconnect the 9V if I need to reset the bluetooth connection for any reason (very rare), or whenever I'm not going to be collecting data for a while. Like I said - not snazzy - but it's a heck of a lot better than being "tethered"... Hope this helps.

Alex.
Alex Leonard

Return to FieldGenius