unit change fg2006

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

unit change fg2006

Postby Grant » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm trying to change an imperial fg file to metric. Searching the forums tells me to change the UN entry in the last MO record in the raw file.

This change only seems to change the units identifier. Points that were 70feet apart are now inversing 70 meters apart. Elevations are the same, 684' becomes 684meters. I could use the RTS function to scale it back down, but I believe the scaling factor doesn't get applied to the Z component of the point database.

Am i missing something or am I going to have to to export to my old DOS cogo program, change it to metric and import again?
Grant

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:11 am

You are correct, changing the UN units field does not scale the distances, it only changes the way they are reported, as feet or meters. You are also correct that the RTS command in FieldGenius does not scale the Z values. To scale the elevations, you will need to use a desktop program such as MSCAD or inCAD, or your DOS program.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Ned Ferguson » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:26 pm

Why not just apply a scale factor of 1/3.28083333 to the whole job? You would still have the elevation problem though.
Ned Ferguson

Return to FieldGenius