FG07 ASCII (comma delimited stanard) upload problem

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

FG07 ASCII (comma delimited stanard) upload problem

Postby pasurvey » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:40 am

I have the Xtreme w/FG07 loaded. When I attempted to load an ASCII point file, comma delimited-standard, as I’ve done so many times in the past when FG06 was loaded without incident, I get a message that it will not load points. I’ve tried this with pre FG07 ASCII point files on my computer and get the same message. I went into my desktop COGO software and changed the ASCII format to space delimited and all is well. I’ve also confirm this on the desktop version of FG07. Please verify that this is a bug, and not me.

Thanks for your efforts.
LP
LP
pasurvey

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:36 am

I'm not aware of a problem with importing ASCII files. Are you importing into a new project, or into an existing project which has existing points that need to be overwritten? If you could, please email me your ascii file to [email protected]
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:12 am

I did some testing, and found that if the delimiter in the file is a comma and a space ie "1, 100, 100, 100, Desc" instead of "1,100,100,100,Desc" then FG2007 does not import the file. This ability was added for FG2006, I don't know why 2007 no longer does this. I will report this to the programmers.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby pasurvey » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:12 pm

Brian,

I'm also having problems loading comma delimited files exported from fg07 to my cogo software. Attempting to load them cause the cogo software to crash. No problem in the past w/fg06, same unchanged cogo software. Again I have no problem loading space delimited files with this cogo software. Please check.
LP
pasurvey

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:21 pm

Which COGO program are you using? Make sure that in FG ASCII Export, that you have the option set to STANDARD, and not one of the other options (expecially the header options). This way the file contains only the coordinates and nothing else that could confuse another program.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby pasurvey » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:11 am

PCSurvey. ASCII point files are always standard. Further checking shows comma-standard point files load fine if it is a new project w/no points, but in a project with points it crashes. Tried pre fg07 exported comma-standard point files without any problems.

Thanks for your efforts.
LP
pasurvey

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:10 am

In testing here I can not find any difference in an ascii file created from fg2006 and fg2007, both files are exactly the same. Perhaps it is something in this particular job? Are your point id's numeric or alphanumeric? Please either phone me or email me one of your projects to look at.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:29 am

I thought I would update those affected by this bug. We will be posting a service pack for FieldGenius 2007. We should have it ready in 1-2 weeks.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius