geodetic coordinates

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

geodetic coordinates

Postby nvolny » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:15 pm

Having some odd things happening with transformations in 2006. Maybe I am using a wrong procedure. What we've been doing is going out with a local set of coordinates. Transforming on a few monuments for search positions. Then once we have searched for and tied all the monuments re-transforming using all zeros for the transformation parameters except for scale which of course is 1.00. This used to put the project back on state plane coordinates after hitting adjust points. Now, some go back to state plane some stay on the local grid and sometimes I get an error message and look into the raw file to find... "unable to calculate point". Really the only place I need to have the coordinates back to state plane is in the office. Is there a way to import a raw gps file using the geodetic coordinates rather than the Northing and Easting Fieldgenius assigns?

Thanks,

Norb
nvolny

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:28 am

Hello,

The Adjust Points button will transform the GPS observations that you collected.

My questions would be, if you measured lets say 10 points with GPS, do those 10 points get moved back to SPC after you use the Adjust Points command?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

figured it out

Postby nvolny » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Jason,

Thanks for the reply, in preparing my raw file to send to you I got to looking and all points with an SP in front of them didn't get adjusted when I hit the adjust points button. Assuming that these were points that we staked out with our search coordinates and tied from the stakeout screen. Noticed there are no geodetic coordinates for these points in the raw file and therefore they cannot be trasformed apparently. Does this sound right? If so why did the software developers choose not to have the points from the stakeout screen transformable? Please let me know if you would like the raw file.

Norb
nvolny

Postby Brian Sloman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:37 pm

If the SP records are on their own then it means the points were not measured. They could have been entered in manually, imported from an ASCII file, calculated with COGO, etc. These non-GPS measured points can be transformed by going into the Coordinate Database - just select the desired points, then press the "Local Transform" button to apply the transformation parameters to the selected points.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to FieldGenius