Lost job

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Lost job

Postby John Gallagher » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:58 am

Hi,
Yesterday the field crew was doing a job when something odd happened.
They took a shot in traverse mode to a point and the Tracker froze up (this has happened a few times before so that's not the odd part ).The instrument man did a reboot of the unit by holding down the on/off key for 10 seconds,the Tracker rebooted with no problem but the job had totally vanished.
Nowhere to be found on the Tracker or on the CF card where the jobs are stored.
This is the odd part as previously when the Tracker had to be rebooted the job was still there.Any one have any thoughts on this?
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Postby CHRIS L » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:16 am

Yeah, we to have had it lock up a few times and never have lost a job....it seems to save ever single command you do.

Heck, I have had a few jobs that it wont even let me delete even when I've tried.
CHRIS L

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:12 pm

FieldGenius constantly saves your job as it is being shot, so as long as the job was in the SystemCF or UserCF folder then it should not have been affected by a hard reset. If it was in the main memory for some reason, then it would be wiped out when a hard reset is done. On your Project Manager screen in FG, please ensure that it shows the data path being in the SystemCF, the default location is "SystemCF\MicroSurvey FieldGenius\FG Projects".
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby John Gallagher » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:23 pm

Brian,
All the jobs go into the User CF by default.I set it up that way so that any if problems that came up with the Tracker I could just remove the CF card and pop it into the computers card reader.
The job wasn't in main memory,believe me.Any other thoughts?
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:44 pm

John, have you used the My Computer program on the Tracker (or the Explore button in ActiveSync) to poke around through the card? If it was there, there should at least be some trace of it even if it doesn't show up in the Project Manager. Do you know what they had named the job?
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby John Gallagher » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:17 pm

Brian,
I used all the options you mentioned.Tried them right of the bat and nothing,I named the job myself when I exported from MSCAD 2005 (this is standard procedure as I am the one who does all the comps and uploading).I
double checked with the guy running the Tracker (he's actually pretty sharp when it comes to computers for a young guy) and he assured me that there was no way the job was moved by him from User CF to main memory.
When I get to the office tomorrow I'll pop the card out and put it in the reader on the computer to double check (just in case).
As I said in the original post,we have had this happen a couple of times in the past and never lost the actual job.
By the way,thanks for the quick response.
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

lost data on User CF

Postby louismullen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 am

John

If you get the CF card and run Restorer Pro on it you should be able to recover the files.

louis
louismullen

Postby John Gallagher » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 am

Louis,
Thanks for the tip.I'll give it a try although luckily the job was the last one of the day and the crew only took the one shot before it was time to pack it in.
I'm more concerned that this might happen again on a job with a lot of time on it.
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Lost Job

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:13 pm

John, I had a job 'disappear' from a CF card in a Leica 500 once. There are CF cards and there are CF cards if you know what I mean. I learnt it pays to use high end and thus more expensive cards. Not suggesting this is your issue, just wondering. In my case the data was there but the Leica wouldn't read it, but it had wiped out all my coding.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby John Gallagher » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:48 am

Richard,
We use San Disk CF cards.Haven't had any trouble until this.
I've been using their CF & SD cards in my PDA & camera at home for a few years now with no trouble,so I'm inclined to think this isn't the problem but thanks for the input.
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Return to FieldGenius