Rotate Linework?

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Rotate Linework?

Postby Ed Gasbarre » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:45 pm

Today I calculated a house (using MSCAD2005) to stake from a plan provided by my client. I downloaded the project into FG07/TrackerExtreme in preparation to meet on site tomorrow and stake the house. My client will show me the orientation he desires and I intend to rotate and translate this project on site.

I tested this procedure in house and found that all points rotated and translated fine but the linework did not move from it's original position.
Why? :(
Ed Gasbarre

Postby ianw2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Unfortunately, the linework appears to be a DXF file rather than being true CAD style linework associated with the point coordinates marking the ends of that line.

I wish we could rotate the linework in the field. It would be an emmense help!
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Postby CHRIS L » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Perhaps they could work out away to link the linework to the point since thats basically how you draw in FG anyways...(From point to point). So if the coords of a point changes, the end point of the linework follows the coord change.

Basically so if you have a line from point 1 to point 2.....and point 2 gets rotated, the line work is still truly from pnt 1 to pnt 2

More things for the Wish List!!!

It does work with linework drawn in FG itself.....I have tried it a couiple times.....it works easier if you do it on the desktop FG program then transfer the file onto the Tracker.......

If you dont have the Desk top version, I believe it still free if you already have a copy of FG
Last edited by CHRIS L on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHRIS L

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:49 pm

What you can do (if there isn't a huge amount of lines), is once the DXF linework is loaded into FG, use the Pencil tool to draw new lines from Point to Point, basically tracing over the DXF lines. These figures would then be linked to the points, so if the points are rotated so would the lines. And then the DXF file could be turned off and not used.

Having the lines import as database Figures instead of DXF lines is definately a good one for the wish list.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:23 pm

When you create the project in MSCAD 2005 you have the option of creating a XG or FG 2004 format project.

If you select XG format you will create a FG Project that has a figures database, meaning that when the project is opened in FieldGenius the lines will be connected to the points.

If you select FG 2004 format, we create a DXF file instead, meaning that in FieldGenius you end up with a DXF file in the background. You can still select the lines or arc and use them.

There are pros and cons to both formats.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Rotate Linework

Postby Ed Gasbarre » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 am

Thanks Jason, MicroSurvey support is why we are here.
I followed your suggestion and all is well. I think all users would be interested in this info which, correct me if I'm wrong, is not in print elsewhere.

Regards, Ed
Ed Gasbarre

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:50 am

This information isn't in the FieldGenius manual, but if you review the "Create FieldGenius Project" help topic in MSCAD 2005 you will see the following information:

"Select XG2 format to export your project in the same format as MSCAD 2001 or 2002. This format will only export smart linework that is in the MicroSurvey CAD database. It will also export points that are currently in the points database. This format is compatible with all versions of FieldGenius, including FieldGenius 2005.

Selecting the new FG 2004/2005 format will make the project compatible with FieldGenius 2004 and 2005, but not earlier versions such as XG2. This will export all linework as DXF entities, and points in the project database."
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Another way

Postby Alex Leonard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Ed, I do what you describe all the time.
I also did not know about the "XG" option.
Sometimes, especially if there is a lot of linework that you might want to turn off and on, its good to have it in DXF.
If your points and data were exported using the "FG2004" format, when you tap on a DXF line, there is an icon for the coodinate database with an arrow pointing at it - this will add the vertices (e.g. endpoints) of the line to the database. You are asked if you want to exclude the linework (say "No") and if you want to ignore duplicate points (say "Yes"). Then you will have true FieldGenius Linework that can be rotated etc.
If you only have a few lines to do (e.g. a house perimeter), its very quick and still gives you the option of turning the DXF data on and off.

Hope this helps.
Alex.
Alex Leonard

Return to FieldGenius