FG FORMAT

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

FG FORMAT

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:04 pm

In 2007 I tried exporting from 2005SP1.3 toboth FG options.
If you select XG format you will create a FG Project that has a figures database, meaning that when the project is opened in FieldGenius the lines will be connected to the points.

If you select FG 2004 format, we create a DXF file instead, meaning that in FieldGenius you end up with a DXF file in the background. You can still select the lines or arc and use them.

I see there is a difference in the way ID's are displayed.
I have Codes such as 'SO 1', 'SO 2' being grid lines for a construction. I found it very useful to have the full description shown as opposed to the truncated version. Wondered if there was a reason.
The full description was in the version with separate dxf file generated.
2005 gives full description if IPD is on. Automap only displays the first part, ie 'OS'. Is there a way to have Descriptions show the full name in 2005? (realise this is a 2005 ?, but it crosses both programs) regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:24 pm

This is essentially legacy support for the older products. In older versions of MSCAD, there was only a description field and not a separate Note field. When exporting to FieldGenius XG, the space marked the division between what is description and what is note.

As for the MSCAD question, IPD always reports back what is in the database, which may not be what your automap is set to display. To show the whole thing, edit your SO* automap entry and make sure that the "Plot Exact Field Description" option is checked on. Then any description beginning with SO will use this entry for the layering/symbol/etc but will have the original description drawn.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

FG Format

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Thanks Brian
If with FG XG2 output from MSCAD2005 the descriptions get truncated in FG as opposed to the older version of export (FG 2004 - have I got that right?) then my preference would be for the earlier version output that translates to displaying FG descriptions in their fulness. Or is this tied to how I set up AutoMap in 2005? (thanks for help there - hadn't taken any notice!!)
I wonder how others feel about this.
Not sure if this covers what I'm trying to explain.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:57 am

XG2 is the older format, while 2004 is the newer format used by FG 2004 through 2007. The output is not tied to your AutoMap settings. Using the XG2 format simply uses the space as a delimiter to break MSCAD's description into a FGXG2 Description and a FGXG2 Note, and does not use the MSCAD note. When you use the 2004 format, MSCAD uses both it's description and notes values to create the FG2004 points, so it is not broken up.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to FieldGenius