Support for Topcon 9003 Robotic?

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Support for Topcon 9003 Robotic?

Postby nvolny » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:37 pm

Am going to purchase a 9003 robotic topcon. The 8000 series is listed as supported by fieldgenius and the salesman :roll: thinks the code is similar enough that it should run the 9003 series as well. Is new topcon going to be supported anytime soon?

Thanks,

Norb
nvolny

Postby CHRIS L » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:31 pm

does your dealer have one there in his shop?? If so, you could take your FG unit in there with you and try it out.
CHRIS L

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:08 am

One of our customers is planning on sending us his 9000 in the next month or two to build drivers for it. The current version FG 2007 v3.0.1 will not work with it.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Ned Ferguson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:14 am

Oops. That's news to me. I have a 9005A (with built-in reflectorless) that I am using with it daily. I am using the RC3 with it, but push the search button manually when I need it. Maybe when I get the right drivers it will work even better than it does now. It is a little buggy switching from IR to RL but it seems to work ok.
Ned Ferguson

thanks

Postby nvolny » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. All I can say is uhoh. Dealer is out of state and I wouldn't be able to test it out. Sounds like it will not work hopefully the update comes up fast! Instrument is being shipped now.

Norb
nvolny

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

Hi There,

We do plan on building a driver for it, but as usual we need to get an instrument here for testing.

We have a customer who is willing to send us his 9000 instrument as soon as he doesn't need it for a couple of days.

Topcon - if you are reading this we sure could use an instrument. Your customers would appreciate it. :D
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:59 am

Hi Ned,

Do you use the Tracker with your 9000 instrument?

If you do, I suspect you are connecting to the RC-3R unit with either a cable or Bluetooth?

I also assume you are using RC communication with the instrument, not radios?

We currently have an instrument in for testing and we're going through various scenarios. Please send us more details on how you're connecting to the 9000.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Ned Ferguson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:33 am

Jason,

I have not visited the forum in a while and just saw your message. I am not using the Tracker. I have FG installed on an Allegro. I do not connect the RC3 to the data collector at all. When I want the instrument to search, I reach and push the button on top of the RC3 while aiming at the instrument. This causes the instrument to initiate a search.

As far as communication parameters, the default settings for Topcon work fine. We are using radios for communication. I think they are called BantamX, developed by Hayes Instrument Company here in Tennessee. You may want to contact Hayes, and talk to Troy or Eddie Clanton. They can be very helpful. You are welcome to drop my name, they know me there. I was told by someone at Hayes that Topcon made it purposely difficult to connect to this robot using a third-party data collector because they want to push people towards their own proprietary platform. The on-board radio will not communicate with third-party data collectors as far as I know.
Ned Ferguson

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Ned,

In a soon to be released service pack for FieldGenius (3.1.2), we will have some fixes for the Topcon Robotic instrument. When we had the instrument in for testing we couldn't get the internal radio on the FC200 to work with FieldGenius. So users have to use a non Topcon data collector if they want to use FieldGenius.

We tested FieldGenius connected directly to the RC3, and also connected to radios such as the Bantam system. We made a fix so the reflectorless short and long edm modes work in FG, made some search improvements and several other minor tweaks.

We contacted Topcon support to quiz them about the radios but didn't here back from them, very frustrating.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Ned Ferguson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:15 pm

Jason,

Your message reminded me that we have been having a problem switching from the IR edm to RL. We are having to power off the instrument and restart before it will switch over using FG. It seems to need a fresh boot. I don't know if you encountered the same problem. Hopefully this is one of the fixes. Thanks and good luck.
Ned Ferguson

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:58 pm

I can't say that I recall seeing that problem. I suspect that once you update to the latest version the problem should go away.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius