Editing coordinates

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Editing coordinates

Postby Ned Ferguson » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:40 am

I wish FG would allow direct editing of coordinate points. I suspect that the fact that it does not is some kind of safety feature, but it is really just annoying. Sometimes I just want to change the Z value. Not allowed. What are the alternatives?

It seems there are two.

1. Translate the point to the desired elevation (time consuming - especially since FG will not just accept a target elevation. The user must calculate the elevation difference. This approach is an even bigger problem if translating a point with a null elevation).

2. Write down the coordinates from the old point and store them as a new point, or overwrite the existing point. Time consuming again, and error-prone.

As an alternative, it would be VERY helpful if FG would recall the values for a desired point from the ADD points screen upon entering a point no. with existing coordinates - then let the user store a new point or overwrite as desired after editing.
Ned Ferguson

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:59 am

You're right, this is a safety feature, but there is another easier way to get around it. When you're on the Edit Point screen, press the Advanced button, then change the Survey Role from Measured to User Entered Point. Then when you press OK, the coordinate fields will be unlocked and you can change them as desired. (In older versions of FieldGenius, the fields will still be greyed out so you must first hit Store Pnt after changing the Survey Role then Edit it again.)
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Ned Ferguson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 am

Brian,
Just got around to checking back. That is very helpful. Thank you.
Ned Ferguson

Return to FieldGenius