Adding bluetooth to a Tracker

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Adding bluetooth to a Tracker

Postby jmahun » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:25 am

We have older non-bluetooth Trackers. I'd like to add a compact flash bluetooth adapter. I tried a Belkin F8T020 adapter, but it requires Windows Pocket PC 2000/2002 and Win CE.net on the Tracker doesn't recognize it.
Has anyone successfully added bluetooth to a Tracker?
jmahun

Postby rgreen00 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:45 am

I have been using a bluetooth card for about 18 months on my yellow Tracker...

It came from www.socket.com

I'm sorry I don't have the numbers for it, but it is in the truck and it isn't here, but I'm sure that they can fix you up..

It is very reliable, except for range, and it is very limited...get used to re-connecting if you walk off from the instrument or much more than turn your back with the Tracker in your hand...not that big of a deal, but could be improved upon..

Randy Green
rgreen00

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:50 pm

We always suggest the Socket CF card because it is really reliable. All you do is insert it and the Tracker's operating system will automatically detect it.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

re: bluetooth

Postby jmahun » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:05 am

Thanks for the information. Will give it a try.
JM
jmahun

Follow up

Postby jmahun » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:56 am

We're talking the Socket Cordless card from socketmobil.com, right? I purchased one and am not able to get it to work reliably with two different Trackers. I installed the software that came with the adapter onto both Trackers. However, the installed software doesn't always appear (whether I have the card in or not) so the Tracker doesn't access bluetooth. After rebooting numerous times, I was able to get one Tracker to recognize and communicate with a Sokkia SCT6. When I tried that combination again later it wouldn't recognize the bluetooth software on the Tracker.
What model number bluetooth adapter are either of you running? Mine is BL4538-641. Also, my Trackers are running Win CE.NET 4.2 Pro.
Jerry M
jmahun

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm

Looks like you bought the right one. We normally don't install the driver software, we just insert the card and the Bluetooth icon appears automatically in the status bar.

You might want to pull the card, uninstall anything you installed related to the card, reset the registry, reset the device, then insert the card. See if this does the trick.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius