Bluetooth on Topcon Hiper Lite

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Bluetooth on Topcon Hiper Lite

Postby Ned Ferguson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi all,

I am just getting around to configuring my Tracker Extreme for bluetooth with the HiperLite GPS. I have figured out how to connect to one of my units and add the connection to my favorites. I have several questions.

1.) The units (base and rover) do not have a configured passkey. The Tracker will not connect using the "pairing wizard" with a blank passkey. In fact, I am not even sure what the pairing wizard is for. I can connect to one of the units using the "Bluetooth Connection Manager" easily and add the connection as a favorite. What is the purpose of the pairing wizard?

2.) It seems that the Tracker is not initiating the bluetooth connection on its own. It looks like the procedure must be that I have to connect to my GPS unit first from the desktop, the start FieldGenius and connect using the assigned port. Is this correct?

3.) It seems that I cannot connect to both my gps units at once. If I try the second unit, I get a "no port available" message. The tracker is currently assigning port 6 to my BT connection. Is this correct? Must I connect to and configure my base via hard wire while leaving the BT connection only for the rover?

In other words, it is necessary to connect to the base for a brief period for configuration purposes, and afterward connect to the rover. It seems that I cannot accomplish this entirely using bluetooth. Is this true or am I overlooking something?
Ned Ferguson

Postby Ned Ferguson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:22 pm

I think I have #2 and 3 figured out. It looks like the user must toggle back and forth from the task bar to the FG program (by clicking at the bottom edge of the screen) to disconnect and reconnect the units. Both units will use port 6 apparently.

I am still curious about question #1. Thanks.
Ned Ferguson

BT Hiper

Postby Jose Ramirez » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 am

To configure passkey on Topcon Hiper you need to use the BTconfig software by topcon. You can get this software from topcon web page.
Jose Ramirez

Postby azstew » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:32 pm

http://www.hayeshelp.com/GPSMovies/FC100Bluetooth.swf

It's for an FC100 but it might help.

My usual procedure is BT to the base
config radio...base
Back to main screen
Start base
Back to main screen
BT to rover
Config rover
reset RTK (just to make sure)

Good luck. I'm still trying to bond to a cell phone(with no luck;-( )
azstew

Return to FieldGenius