Fatal Error on Staking

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Fatal Error on Staking

Postby gmac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:06 am

Anybody else having the program crash when doing a stakeout routine?

We are running a Tracker Extreme (FG2008) with a Sokkia robotic and get a fatal error about every third or fourth point we try to stake out - this shuts the program down and we have to start again. :(
gmac

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:43 pm

I spent about an hour today with a Leica 1200 and a Tracker Xtreme hoping I could reproduce this crash. We have some other customers reporting a similar crash during stake out but we are not able to reproduce it.

Could you send me a project that you are staking from?

Plus I would like to get your msurvey.ini file that is stored in the MicroSurvey FieldGenius\Programs directory. This file stores all your instrument profiles and project settings and I want to look at them to see if I can spot any differences.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby gmac » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:11 am

Your suggestion of changing the baud rate seems to solve the problem. :D
gmac

fatal error on staking

Postby wflux » Fri May 02, 2008 7:14 am

I am also having this problem. But with ours when we select next point to stake, the screen freezes on top of the next screen so we can see the bottom part of the screen only, but you can't see the map section of the screen. can't get out with any of the conventional ways and had to pull the battery. This is darned annoying when you're at the far end of the job site and have to walk back to the instrument to reset up everything. I am running the Tracker Extreme with 2008 FG and a Trimble 5600 Robot. Baud rate is 9600. What did you recommend to GMAC to set it at?
Thanks for any help
Walt
wflux

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi GMAC,

We are still trying to find the cause of this crash as some of our customers are still running into it. One pattern we are seeing is that the crash seems to happen in projects that have a DXF loaded.

So my question is - do you use or load DXF files? If yes, do you recall if the crashes happened in projects that had DXF files loaded?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby gmac » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:31 am

I sent this in on June 18 2008

- no we don't usually load a dxf file-although it is part of the file created for uploading

Jim
Sorry I let this hang for so long - I just had the party chief tell me he has not had any fatal errors since he discovered that if he took the field genius/instrument out of track mode before attempting to stake out a point. If staking a point is attempted while the field genius/instrument is in track mode, a fatal error is almost guaranteed.

Hope this is helpful.
gmac

Postby surveyjoe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 pm

I run FG2008 on a TDS Ranger 500X with a Topcon APL1A robot.

I have not experienced any crashes while staking points. My FG2008 and Robot are always in tracking mode with a DXF loaded on the Ranger.

I have had strange things happen when I ran FG2007 on my Tracker Xtreme while point staking with my Hiper Lite RTK gear. Sometimes the program would lock up and force me to reboot. (DXF loaded)

So far so good with FG2008 on the Ranger 500X driving the APL1A.

John
surveyjoe

Postby Brian Sloman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:13 am

***Update***

We have indentified the problem some users have been having during staking. The fix for this will be included in our next update, which will be FieldGenius 2008 v5.0.0.

This has been a very difficult problem for us to reproduce and track down, so many thanks to Walt for lending us his robot to get it sorted out!
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to FieldGenius