Fieldgenius Desktop Limitations/Bugs

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Fieldgenius Desktop Limitations/Bugs

Postby surveysteve » Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 am

I am trying to use fieldgenius on a notebook/tablet in the field and I am running into several difficulties.

1) Fieldgenius is only able access the C: drive, and for those of use that use multiple partitions, flash drives etc. this is a very inconvenient and frustrating limitation.

2) Fieldgenius has a menu bar above the map screen which on a 600x800 screen is not completely viewable, this would not be a problem if it were possible to resize the menu bar, resize the icons, split the menu bar, or dock it elsewhere.

3) The automap library point lookup feature is case sensitive, but only upper case characters are able to be input, and I am having trouble keeping the descriptors all upper case during import.

If I am missing something please let me know how to make this work.
Thanks!
surveysteve

Postby surveysteve » Thu May 22, 2008 11:09 am

I think I figured out #3, apparently the FG software will list an automap descriptor file that has caps or numbers in the filename, but it will not load or preview the file, the filename must be completely lowercase letters. Interesting.
surveysteve

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu May 29, 2008 11:47 am

Hello,

1) We've addressed this already, it will be available in the next service pack release for FieldGenius.

2) The emulator must be used with screen resolution equal to or greater than 1024.

3) I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. It always helps if you could describe it as:

What is the Problem:
What are the steps to reproduce it:
What is the expected outcome:
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby surveysteve » Thu May 29, 2008 12:27 pm

3) The problem is related to case sensitivities with the automap library and consists of two parts.

a) To open a project you are prompted with a "Project Review" window, at which point you are able to select an Automap Template File. If you attempt to select a Template file that has any upper case letters in the filename, fieldgenius will continue normally with no warnings as if it had read the file, however it really doesn't import the information from the file. If you try to preview the file, you will then realize that it can't read the file, and gives you an error message.

b) when your project is open and you are interested in selecting a point description from the automap library, you will find that if you have an Automap Template file with points that have lower case letters in the description column, fieldgenius doesn't autocomplete the description. It seems to assume that you will only ever have all caps for the description.

Steve
surveysteve

Postby mlbrack » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 pm

I agree with Steve.

I love the emulator, but I has quirks as he as described.

Particularly the screen resolution, overlapping push botton/options etc.

Further another anoyance is mouse speed is retarded in the application. You end up needed to go all the way across the screen back and forth, but FG doesn't seem to have an mouse acceleration and instead of moving the mouse an inch to get across the screen, it's scroll, scroll, scroll.....
mlbrack

Return to FieldGenius