How to: can field genius record HA and VA and not distance??

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

How to: can field genius record HA and VA and not distance??

Postby mlbrack » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Here's my problem....

I'm needing to model the horizon at a given location. I want to setup my total station, orient to north, then shoot the HA and VA of the local horizon around the circle.

So, I don't want coordinate values persay but somehow I want an azimuth and a vertical angle recorded to model peaks and valleys around the horizon of my project area. Then I'll use HA as X, and VA as Y to make a rolled out "angular" version of the horizon.

Clear?

Any ideas floating around out there?
mlbrack

Postby glennd2 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:41 am

Try using MANUAL DISTANCE option. You can leave distance blank1
glennd2

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 pm

Hello,

We don't have any way of storing a shot without a distance.

The only way you could accomplish what you want is to use Glenn's suggestion. Only thing I would suggest is instead of leaving the distance field blank, I would use a smaller distance such as 99.999 or 999 so points are computed in a close proximity to the instrument. Failing to do this will force FieldGenius to store an "undefined" distance which is saved as -99999999.0000. So a point will be computed with this distance and as such will cause problems as soon as you do a zoom extents.

So the procedure I would use would be to sight the horizon, then start the manual distance routine. This will collect the HA and VA angles from the instrument and let you manually enter a distance.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

H & V ANGLES IN FG

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 am

I'd have thought many users would need this? I certainly use this often reading to RO's - Trigs, Lighthouses, Towers etc.
I don't want a stray distance - just a record of the observation. This should be a fairly easy thing for FG to handle - record only that we can retrieve from the raw data. Doesn't need a point number but a note attached would be handy.
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius