Slow taking shots.

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Slow taking shots.

Postby JJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:45 pm

I have just boughtmy first FG 2008 with the Archer PDA.
I am using a Leica TCRA1103 (so far, shooting points around my office).
I find that it takes quite a long time from when I tap the measurment button to when the instument finally takes the shot.
There is a file type loading screen that pops up before the signal goes to the instrument?
Also, the electronic buble does apear on the Archer, but apears to be fixed & not in sinc with the Inst.
Are there some settings i have wrong or something i need to chang.
Note that although the instrument can run robotically, (1man) I will be running FG from the instrument.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Jeff
JJ

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:57 am

First thing I would check is the baud rate you are using, please make sure you use at least 19200.

Secondly, how long exactly is it taking to take a measurement?

Thirdly, please search our Helpdesk for "Leica 1100" and you will find documents describing the settings to use with FieldGenius.

If you continue to have problems, please submit a support ticket because you will get faster service compared to using the web board.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:00 am

One more thing, are you using GSI or GeoCom to communicate with the instrument?
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby CHRIS L » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:41 am

We use a TCRA 1103 with FG for awhile now. Are you referring to the time it take to take a shot with FG as opposed to taking a shot normally just using the gun without FG? Is this your first time using a external Data Collector with the gun? (Have you always used the gun itself?)

If thats the case, then you are correct, there is a slight....1/2-3/4 second difference between the time it takes to initiate the gun. When we first went with FG, I too noticed the difference. When you press measure on the gun it starts pretty much instantly shoots. FG has a little pause. I pretty much figure this has to do the you pressing "shoot" on FG and it triggering the gun through the port.
For what its worth, our Sokkia Gun acts the same way.

As far the the Bubble, it should move if you change the level on the instrument. There is a slight delay thats worse than the delay on the 1003 electronic bubble. I'll take a look at ours today and see how it acts. I always level the gun before I even hook up the FG to the gun.

Thanks

Chris

EDIT: After looking the length of shots today. They do vary some. I found occupy and stakeout shots took around 1-3 seconds to initiate. Most of the regular side shots were pretty quick....1-2 seconds if not almost instant.
CHRIS L

Return to FieldGenius