TIME DIFFERENCES CAUSING ISSUES

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

TIME DIFFERENCES CAUSING ISSUES

Postby Richard Sands » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:44 pm

I notice each year as daylight saving kicks in FG kicks out of synch.
A message says the clocks are more than 2 minutes difference - PC to Tracker Xtreme.
Both are set to (GMT + 10.00) Hobart and Auto adjust for daylight saving ticked ON.
Both are identical time.
Not sure why the day before daylight saving all is well, the day after daylight saving all is not well.
Happened last year.
Its a pain as I think it also messes with the linework - doesn't import.
Do others have issues? Maybe a bug that lurks Downunder in the Trackers?
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

TIME DIFFERENCES

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:43 am

This seems a bit like a Bug. I checked it out again today - all times equal to the second, same time zone.
Same message about time differences.
Richard Sands

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:07 am

Hi Richard,

I will test this today using your time zone to see if I can reproduce it. I'll let you know what I find.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:36 am

I tested using your time zone and I did find that when I sync up the Tracker Xtreme, I always get the warning that the time differs by more than two minutes.

I then set an Archer and an Allegro to the your time zone and synced, and I didn't receive any time warnings.

So the conclusion is that this is a Tracker Xtreme only problem and we'll log it a bug. We'll look at it next time we update the MicroSurvey Transfer program.

For now, you have to live the message.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

TRACKER TIME DIFFERENCES

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks Jason
Good to know whats going on.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

TIME DIFFERENCES

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:40 am

Jason this is still misbehaving with the latest version of FG.
Times on Tracker and PC to the minute but says they differ.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

TIME DIFFERENCES

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:22 pm

I've played around with this and unticked daylight saving, reset the clocks to the exact second, (Haven't tried complete timezone change) and it still persists.
Is this just a Tracker Extreme issue?
Richard Sands

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:23 pm

The time differences issue is a real PAIN!
It strips the linework from the imported FG data and I just end up with points.
I allowed MSCAD and MS transfer to do its default stuff and the linework just doesn't feature at all.
I then started a new 2009 job and imported the data from the raw file.
The thing fell over as there were missing points. (in the raw data ie - not in the FG job on Tracker)
I chased those up from Field Genius and ran the raw data file.
Due to my using Multishots for all my traverse work it stalled at every Multishot and asked what I wanted to do.

It'd be nice to be able to have my linework back all connected as per my field survey and for MSCAD to recognise its own 'first cousins' command of Multishots.

I know the linework issue resolves when daylight saving ends but I cant go on leave that long.

As mentioned before the times are same to the second and same time zones on PC & Tracker.

regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 pm

So the conclusion is that this is a Tracker Xtreme only problem and we'll log it a bug. We'll look at it next time we update the MicroSurvey Transfer program.
For now, you have to live the message.

What is the current version of MS Transfer? I couldn't find reference to it in the Helpdesk. I;m running Oct 28, 2008.

I don't really care about the message but I do about the stripping of the linework.

Do you still have Trackers (Extremes) you can test this out on?

Since the last FG update FG has behaved oddly on my Tracker - Number pad freezes but only in FG - other applications work fine whilst FG is not.
Only way to fix it is to turn off and remove batteries.
I now find also if I want to survey ARCS that if I invoke an ARC then take the shot it changes to a LINE. I change it back to take the next shot and its reverted to LINE again. This since last update.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Jason Poitras » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Richard,

You have the most recent version of the Transfer program.

We don't use the system time for anything during import, so I highly doubt that the time warning is causing any issues with the linework.

Also your explanation of what happens when you use the three point arc toggle is working correctly. We automatically switch back to line after you shoot the mid point. It has worked like this for at least two years now.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 pm

This has again reared its head as daylight saving ticks in and the same results - strips linework.
Both machines set to same times and settings.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Matthew Fore » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm

We are having the same problem now but with an Allegro. I at first thought it was caused by Windows 7 since I upgraded about the same time but after reading this all i can say is we see the same time message error and linework is not being imported.
Matthew Fore

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:27 pm

I would create a support ticket so one of the support guys can contact you to figure this out. For now, just manually download the files to your computer and syncwizard them in.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Re: TIME DIFFERENCES CAUSING ISSUES

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:23 pm

another year and this issue is still about but with a difference.
This year I deliberately didn't change the setting in the Tracker when daylight saving started.
I downloaded into Win 7 on daylight saving time (1 hr ahead of the Tracker) and there was no prompt re time differences.
I left it for a few days and repeated - still no prompt. I then changed the time zone to reflect the current here on Tracker and Win 7 didn't flag anything.

I then downloaded to my Laptop that is Vista and same AEST (daylight saving) and Tracker on AEST (daylight saving) and the prompt re time differences popped up.
Previous years it has been XP Pro and Vista, this year 7 Pro and Vista Business.
It sure is weird.
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius