Roading Workflow from MS-CAD to Field Genius

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Roading Workflow from MS-CAD to Field Genius

Postby Alex Leonard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Anyone out there transferring road designs from paper to MS-CAD and then staking them out with Field Genius?
I'd be interested to know what the suggested work-flow is.

I'm starting with paper plans with alignment information but no surveyed topography. I can build both horizontal and vertical alignments in CAD, as well as cross-section templates, but have no existing ground surface to section.
At this point I would be very happy to be able to generate a coordinated stakeout list on paper giving elevations per road station - but this seems to not be possible directly in MS-CAD. But FG is supposed to be stronger in this area than MS-CAD, but not so easy to enter alignment data by hand.

I can export to Field Genius - including a LandXML file that is supposed to maintain the road alignment definitions, but still cannot create a staking list due to the lack of a vertical alignment (gets lost in transfer?) and/or LandXML cross-sections (which MS-CAD does not know how to make).

With the great integration between these two programs, I keep thinking this should be easier than it appears to be - what am I missing?
Alex
Alex Leonard

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:11 am

Hi Alex,

Actually entering the data directly into FieldGenius is quite easy, and in many cases much quicker than trying to create the alignments in MicroSurvey CAD. One thing a lot of customers do is install the desktop version of FieldGenius and get it activated which every FieldGenius customer is allowed to do.

The desktop version allows you to run the program in a full screen mode which makes entering the data much easier. Benefits are you get to see the data appear in the FieldGenius screen as you are entering it which helps you confirm that the data entries are correct.

The project created by the desktop version is 100% compatible with the data collector version.

I hope this helps.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Alex Leonard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:37 am

Jason,
thanks for the reply - yes I do use the desktop version of FG and like that functionality very much.

So if I wanted coordinated alignment stationing with design elevations in BOTH FG and CAD, are you saying I should create the roads from scratch in FG, then import that project into CAD?

Would the resulting linework in CAD be 3D?

Are the .HRZ and .VRT files that CAD creates any help in entering data into FG?

Alex
Alex Leonard

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 pm

If you want the alignment data in both units, it would be best to start the project in MicroSurvey CAD.

The alignment you create in the desktop can be exported as a LandXML file that FieldGenius can read in.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

MSCD - FG ROUTINES

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:14 am

I'd like to see the features we do in FG such as described here put into MSCAD.
Would that then help speed up the Roadworks development in MSCAD?
regads
Richard Sands

Postby Alex Leonard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 am

Richard,
I agree - certainly, the FG functionality is superior to the current CAD implementation - however, because the LandXML data exchange is currently only uni-directional, to accomplish what I set out to do when this thread began, it turns out I had no choice but to use CAD as a starting place.
It seems to make sense that both programs (at least appear to) work the same way - and especially be able to seamlessly pass the relevant data to/from each other.

Best wishes,
Alex Leonard
Alex Leonard

Return to FieldGenius