Feature List

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Feature List

Postby klbuckton » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:47 pm

I am trying to find a way to combine the feature list information with the cooresponding coordinate file to be able to export the complete data to other users to use. I am able to get the format that I want with the notes option but would sooner use Feature list in the field.
klbuckton

Postby mlbrack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:23 am

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question.

Using a shapefile export is the only way to utilize/exchange coordinate and attribute data across non-Microsurvey software platforms like ACAD.

If you can give me a better idea of what you are trying to do, I can provide addtional information.

Mike
mlbrack

Feature List

Postby klbuckton » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:30 am

Mike:
When you are using the feature list option for gathering GIS data, the only place that the information is available is in the coordinate listing dialogue box. It is possible to print out the .DBF file but it only shows the point number and attributes, there is no easy way to link the attributes to the coordinate file for exporting. I want to be able to list the coordinates and the attributes together in one complete listing, and genearte a ascii file of some form.
Ken
klbuckton

Postby mlbrack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 am

You are correct. I thought this is the direction you were going.

No, you cannot link the coordinate and attribute data and generate a combined table directly from FG.

I use FG for archaeological mapping, which requires that the data collection be GIS-enabled. I've had to develop pretty commplex means of post-field processing to take FG files and turn them into data-rich objects (including lines) in ACAD.

Atleast as you've presented it, your request is relatively simple. I see two options.

1) Export the FG project as shapefiles and utilize the coordinate data associated with the attribute shapefile. When you export your project to a shapefile you generate two basic file: .dbf (tabular attribute data) and .shp (esri format spatial data). As a shapefile, your "attribute" data includes both the tabular data and the spatial data. The shapfile objects "know" where they are located even though the coordinates are not tabulated. Many softwares that deal with shapefiles (ESRI Arcview for example) will allow you to populate the coordinates that are inherent to the objects back to the table with an "add X,Y" command. If you are using ACAD (or something similar) you can get to the same ends by utilzing the FG shapefile export. In ACAD, import the attribute data shapefile (mapimport command) and create ACAD object data to store the FG attribute data so you have data-rich ACAD blocks or points. Then, export the ACAD objects out of cad as shapefiles (mapexport command) attaching both the object attribute data and the ACAD properties of X,Y, and Z. Then you will have a single table with attributes and coordinates.

2) Use a database software such as MS Access to link the points.dbf to the data.dbf using a query. "Point id" in the coordinate file links with "name" in the data file in a 1:1 relationship. Thereby you can generate a single combined table with all your data. You can also do a similar data manipulation in Arcview using the join/link tables command.

It's not like having all of the data tabulated by FG into a single table, but neither approach outlined above is all that difficult and can be done in only a few minutes. It's a couple extra steps but once you've done it a few times, you're only talking about 10 minutes. If you are unfamilar with shapefiles, I'd recommend downloading "Accuglobe." It is an excellent freeware GIS tool, which will allow you to get a better understanding of ESRI shapefiles.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Mike
mlbrack

Return to FieldGenius