prism offsets and editing them later

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

prism offsets and editing them later

Postby nlabedzki » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a way to edit prism offsets in FG or MS2008. I did this small surveying demo for CLSA at the mall yesterday. My prism offset was set to 0mm in the gun and the DC. Shot the wall target, then I took four shots of this feature in the mall. After I left the mall I said YIKES the offset, the offset, the offset WAS WRONG!!! No big deal I thought to myself, thinking I can edit this in the raw file. But how do I do that?!? Okay this was a demo, but I would be great to be able to fix the raw data to help eliminate any human error on a really big project.

I have never edited raw data in Field Genius or MS 2009. How can I edit these 4 shots to the correct prism offset (30mm) and reprocess the data.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

Nick
nlabedzki

Postby Jason Poitras » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Unfortunately you can not edit the prism offsets in FieldGenius or MicroSurvey CAD. Your only option is to manually adjust the distances then recoordinate the traverse file with MicroSurvey CAD.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:00 pm

..which is another thing to put on the wish list.
Actually I could give you a long list of things that one should be able to quickly and easily do with the raw file.
Basically, make it so that anything and everything that was entered by the user can be edited - if a user entered it, it's not raw data - make the information that came from the TS impossible to edit but allow the rest.
I should be able to simply change setup point, backsight point, HI, HT, prism constant/target type, starting backsight direction (with ability to recompute based on)........
Gord
Keatley Surveying Ltd.
Manitoulin Island
www.keatley.msdcorp.com
Gord

Postby CHRIS L » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:38 pm

Gord wrote:..which is another thing to put on the wish list.
Actually I could give you a long list of things that one should be able to quickly and easily do with the raw file.

Make the list, it never hurts. Unless the guys at MS know what we would like to be able to do, they cant try to make it do that.

Disclaimer: not all things are possible. I've seen some requests over the years for things people wanted added to software (not just FG) that were pretty off the wall.
CHRIS L

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:52 pm

Gord I would urge you to make your submission both to the office and here.
I have been told that unless others want this or that then it will be low on the list of priorities for them.

I believe that posting suggestions can help us see options that perhaps we had never thought of and yet would welcome as 'staple diet'.
Unless we know what we are missing out on (could miss out on) then we don't know that we lack something.

Keep them coming I'd say.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Gord » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 am

I have found that this is an excellent place to make the list. The boys over at Microsurvey follow closely what is said on this forum and when suggestions such as those in this thread are made, it does not fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes I guess would be the case with a forum :)
When suggestions come out of the forums and there are posts agreeing, the point gets across that it's not just one persons twisted wish.
Speak up even if it's just to post that you think it's a good idea, that's the only way Microsurvey can know if something's wanted by more than one person. (and it's also a way that I can hear if you all think I'm nuts and the only one wanting something!)
Cheers from the Rock,
Gord
Gord
Keatley Surveying Ltd.
Manitoulin Island
www.keatley.msdcorp.com
Gord

Return to FieldGenius