Figures and Civil 3d

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Figures and Civil 3d

Postby Charles Boucher » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:23 am

Hi all,

Is Field Genius still exports the linework to LDD/or Civil3d figures?

Thanks,
Charles
Charles Boucher

Postby mlbrack » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 am

Yes, FG has functionality with Civil.

You can export from FG in Fieldbook (.fbk), Land XML, or shapefiles for import into Civil.

It doesn't suit my needs, but the syncing relationship of .fbk between FG and Civil would seem very effective for most engineering/surveying purposes.

I have a previous post about Civil in the forum with a link to FG demonstration/training movies. Check it out.
mlbrack

Postby Charles Boucher » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 am

thanks, for the reply. for a reason, I can't view at the video's...

What is the recommended format to use, if I want to export/import all of my: observations, points & figures in Civil 3d?

Charles
Charles Boucher

Postby mlbrack » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:06 am

That's hard to say. It would depend on what type of work you routinely do. My work is archaeological mapping, which make the attribute data extremely important and shackles me to certain data collection and processing techniques. I have to use shapefiles.

With that said, if I were doing straight eningeering/surveying work, I'd probably be working with the fieldbook (.fbk) format. That offers syncing/interchanablity between FG and Civil and offers rigorous post processing/adjustment capabilties.

I've only played with the enough to know it's cool and it has capabilites. Beyond that, you're going to have to test it out.

This issue is something your cad retailer should be able to help with. You should be able to arrange for a demonstation or webinar to run you through the basics of the Civil surveying extension.
mlbrack

Postby Jason Poitras » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi guys,

Great discussion. Definitely for engineering/survey type work, using the FBK export is your best option. LDD/Civil3D uses figures very much the same way we do in FieldGenius meaning you can use some of the built in features in your desktop software. For example if you setup prefix libraries you can have LDD/Civil 3D automatically move items to specific layers based in the figure names defined in FieldGenius. As for points, you can setup description keys to manipulate the points when imported so they're moved to specific layers etc...

The three things you need to use in LDD/Civil 3D are:

1) FBK Import
2) Figure Prefix Library
3) Description Keys

I hope this helps.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Charles Boucher » Wed May 06, 2009 10:26 am

Ok, I finally got a hold of the EECAST on Automated Linework found at www.civil3d.com (use IE...), which answered my question!

If you export your survey from FG using the command Export to Fieldbook, when imported in Civil 3d you get POINTS and FIGURES.

If you convert the RAW file from FG to a Fieldbook, when imported in Civil3d your get OBSERVATIONS and POINTS.

So to get everything (points, figures and observations)... you grab the figures part from the Fieldbook (textfile) and you paste at the end of the converted Fieldbook from Raw!
Charles Boucher

Re:

Postby Craig Davis » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Charles Boucher wrote:Ok, I finally got a hold of the EECAST on Automated Linework found at http://www.civil3d.com (use IE...), which answered my question!

If you export your survey from FG using the command Export to Fieldbook, when imported in Civil 3d you get POINTS and FIGURES.

If you convert the RAW file from FG to a Fieldbook, when imported in Civil3d your get OBSERVATIONS and POINTS.

So to get everything (points, figures and observations)... you grab the figures part from the Fieldbook (textfile) and you paste at the end of the converted Fieldbook from Raw!

We've just recently purchased Field Genius and trying to get up to speed with automated linework. We previously used Civilcad here in Australia with automated stringing in the field which was a bit confusing at times which is where we thought Field Genius could help. So figures is a bit different.

We've exported to Fieldbook and created the POINTS & FIGURES but would like to fully utilise the Survey part of Civil 3d and get the observations as well. Unfortunately I haven't got access to the EECAST so a bit stumped on the convert the RAW file.

Can the Field Genius RAW file be converted by Civil 3d Survey Link to the correct FBK file?

I've got as far as importing the FG RAW file into Survey Link and "Convert Raw Data File (TDS raw data)" to "Autodesk Softdesk FBK", however I'm getting a few errors when checking it with Reports, Error Wizard and also bringing it into Civil 3d.

It may just be our surveying systems with the new software. Just wondering are we going about it the right way?

Any help would be appreciated.
Craig Davis

Re: Figures and Civil 3d

Postby Jason Poitras » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi Craig,

I think it would be best to create a support ticket and have one of our tech guys look at your project. Make sure you zip up your FieldGenius project and attach it to the ticket. Also give as much details as possible.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius