TopCon GTS 900A Compatibility Concerns

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

TopCon GTS 900A Compatibility Concerns

Postby Andy B. » Mon May 04, 2009 3:16 pm

I have Field Genius 2008 running in the Allegro MX 128 MB Ram/2gigs Storage, Color Display with Bluetooth. I am interested in a TopCon GTS 900a series Robotic Total Station. I have zero experience with robotic total stations so please help me with these concerns. Will my Allegro package replace the need for the FC-200 Field Controller and TopSurv 7.2, which is offered with the GTS 900A package. Is the Robotic Module for Field Genius 2008 Fully compatible with the GTS 900A series? If it is fully compatible, has anyone experienced any limitations using FieldGenius 2008 to control this robotic total station compared to using the FC-200 Controller with TopSurv 7.2?
Andy B.

Postby surveyjoe » Mon May 11, 2009 1:49 pm

I use FG2008 with my Topcon AP-L1A robot and am very happy with the program. I have also used the program with the Topcon 800 series robot while my AP-L1A was being repaired..

I know of no limitations of FG2008 with Topcon robots.

You will also need to read the FG2008 user manual.

SurveyJoe
surveyjoe

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Your data collector will work with that instrument but you will need to purchase some external radios to use with the Allegro. There are some affordable solutions available, we happen to sell radios if you need.

The benefit of the FC200 is that the radio is built into the hardware which means you wouldn't need external radios.

The Topcon instruments uses the RC unit to help the instrument find the prism, FieldGenius is able to connect to the unit by cable or wireless using Bluetooth.

We always suggest you try before you buy. Most honorable dealers will let you try the equipment before you make a decision.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Andy B. » Tue May 12, 2009 5:56 pm

I appreciate your replies gentlemen. That takes care of my concerns on that decision.
Andy B.

Return to FieldGenius