RECIPROCOL TRAVERSING

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

RECIPROCOL TRAVERSING

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:49 am

Added support for reciprocal traversing. This will now allow you to average the elevation of your setup based on the foresight and backsight observations to the point you’re currently setup on. Only traverse stations (TR Shots) can be used for reciprocal calculations.

Does this also average the back and fore distance reading?

Often in traversing I find it handy to use the the distance of back reading to a tribrach and target as opposed to the fore reading to a pole.
In such case it would be good to use the average elevation and the back reading to update the distance stored. In that case not to average but to over ride the distance.

regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi,

If the Reciprocate Traverse option is turned on then when you measure the backsight, FieldGenius will compute a new elevation for the point being occupied, based on:

1. The measured elevation of the occupy point, based on its previously recorded TR traverse measurement.

2. The computed elevation of the occupy point, based on the backsight observation and the elevation of the backsight point.

These two elevations for the occupy point are averaged together, and a new traverse observation is computed for the occupy point, which will result in the occupy point having this new averaged elevation. This computed observation is written to the raw file as a new TR record, overriding the previous TR record to the occupy point.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:57 pm

But what does it do with the horizontal distances? Does it mean them?

It would be good to have the option as we do for resections, multishots etc to turn off/on certain readings that we want to use.
That way I could not use the horizontal reading to the station but can the back reading and can use both vertical angles (to and from) for my elevations.
On a windy day for egs a reading to a foreshot to a handheld pole would not be used but a backsight to a target and tribrach would.
A difference in the measured distance would not affect the elevation but would the horizontal.

I thought about this since and as I cant use the latest update due to GPS issues I'll have to wait until that gets resolved.
I'll have a look at its use then.

regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius