Allegro mx freezes

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Allegro mx freezes

Postby GBS » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:44 am

I am fairly new to using the allegro mx. When I go to stake a line using a total station, the first time is fine but if i try to do it a second time it freezes up and i have to re-set and get totally right out before it unfreezes.

What are possible causes of this? Can a low total station battery cause this?
GBS

Re: Allegro mx freezes

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 am

Hi, I've see this happen with some devices including the Allegro MX after returning from its low-power (suspend) mode, for example if the data collector is physically turned off then back on while still connected to the instrument, or if the device goes into its automatic suspend mode after x minutes of inactivity. You can either disable this or increase the time before it will kick in, by tapping on Start menu | Settings, System tab, Power icon.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby DKNTEC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:03 pm

When it freezes after the suspend or sleep mode, tap the instument Settings button in upper right corner of main FG screen, which brings up the Instrument Settings Toolbar.
In lower left of that toolbar, tap the "Disconnect Instrument" button, which then changes to "Connect to Instrument".
Tap on it again to Connect, & you should be reconnected & working again.

At least that's what I found with my Tracker FG2007 on a Sokkia Set5 gun.

On mine, rather than disable the sleep mode completely, which leaves the Data Collector always on,
I extended the time before it goes into sleep mode to 10 minutes.
That way, if I leave the gun for more than a few minutes, it shuts off the Data Collector to conserve battery (an issue with Trackers).
Upon return, I simply turn on the Tracker and do the Disconnect/Connect noted above, and I'm back in business.

Set your sleep mode time to whatever works best for you, long enough so it stays on in a session between shots.
Dan
DKNTEC

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 am

This is currently a know issue with the MX and we are trying to find a solution. Basically if the com port is open while the device is either manually put into sleep mode (press power button) or goes into sleep mode by itself, when the device is turned back on FieldGenius will be locked up.

If you are going to be away from the instrument for some time, or are moving between setups make sure you disconnect FieldGenius (disconnect from instrument settings toolbar) before you power down.

We are looking for a solution.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby DKNTEC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 am

Hi Jason
So the Disconnect/Connect AFTER powering back up, that works on the Tracker, doesn't work on the MX?
Only if you Disconnect BEFORE powering down on the MX?

I had encountered the same problem as GBS (in sideshots) when I first got my Tracker & FG2005 almost 5 years ago,
and it took a while, with some help from Brian, to figure out that solution I noted above.
I vividly recall the pain that first day in the field with my then brand new Tracker, struggling with it freezing up over & over,
with a client watching.
The sleep mode was set to something ridiculous like 1 or 2 minutes so it kept dropping out, and like GBS,
it seemed each time I had to close right out, reopen the project, redo the backsight, rah, rah...

That was why had I jumped in to help here, with what had been a good solution for me!
Regards,
Dan
DKNTEC

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:47 pm

Only on the Allegro MX do we suggest that you disconnect FieldGenius from the instrument before pressing the power button. Once you move to the new setup and power the data collector back on, you can reconnect FieldGenius to the instrument by pressing the connect button.

The Tracker did not require these extra steps.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius