Geoid wishes...

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Geoid wishes...

Postby mlbrack » Fri May 21, 2010 10:28 am

NGS is publishing NAVD88(2009) values.

It would be nice to have the option for various NAVD88 geoids in field genius instead of constantly needing to convert to tie into old control nets.
mlbrack

Re: Geoid wishes...

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri May 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi, A change was made in FieldGenius 2008 v4.1.0 where you can now select from any compatible geoid files present in your Mapping folder, in the Coordinate System Settings screen, instead of having to select from our preset list as in previous versions. Generally speaking, this means .byn files in Canada and .bin files in the United States. It appears as if the USGG2009 geoid model is probably the same .bin format as previous versions, in which case you should be able to simply download the appropriate .bin file(s) from NGS and copy them into your Mapping folder to select and use in FieldGenius.
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/USGG2009/
Give it a try, but be sure to test with some published control points to make sure it works, before collecting any field data with it.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby mlbrack » Fri May 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks, Brian. Regretably, we are still at 3.2.0 because of some unfixed bugs in later versions. Now I REALLY want those data bugs corrected!
mlbrack

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri May 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Have you been in touch with Jason regarding the bugs? We are currently beta testing the next version v4.3.0 which i believe is fairly close to release, so hopefully they have been addressed - I'm not aware of any outstanding issues with the radians. Send me an email with the details and I can look into it.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to FieldGenius