Datum Grid Editor Question

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Datum Grid Editor Question

Postby Andy B. » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 pm

I am attempting to use the FG 2008 Datum Grid Editor program, using Vista Home Premium SP2, to create a sub grid file in the program's export folder to be transferred to my mapping folder in FG. I am using only the default installed source grid files from which to create my sub grid file. I have chosen to set my grid extents via zip code and I have chosen a 500 mile radius. I am assuming the default source data path and the default export data path is what I need for this task. When I select the create option, however, I get an error: "Access to an unnamed file was denied." What am I doing wrong? Is there a way the user can choose a coordinate system setting for his geographic area from the pre-installed options available in FG and not have to create a sub grid file to be associated with it?
Andy B.

Re: Datum Grid Editor Question

Postby Brian Sloman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 am

Hi, Default security policies in Windows Vista and Windows 7 will prevent applications from creating files inside certain folders including in the Program Files folder (also the Windows folder, the C:\ root folder, and others). Two solutions are either 1) change the Export folder to say somewhere in your "My Documents" or "Desktop" folders, or 2) right-click on the Datum Grid Editor shortcut and select "Run As Administrator". This is documented in our Helpdesk here:
http://microsurvey.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=troubleshooter&_a=steps&troubleshootercatid=1&parenttroubleshooterid=1027
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Re: Datum Grid Editor Question

Postby Andy B. » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks Brian. The first solution worked like a charm. I did spend a great deal of time looking through the the help desk and user forum for a solution, but I must admit I never tried the troubleshooter. I appreciate your quick reply and I'm going to upgrade to FG 2010 now.
Andy B.

Return to FieldGenius