Archer and screen protection?

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Archer and screen protection?

Postby Craig Davis » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:15 pm

We're using FG with the Archer and finding the screen is getting quite scratched up and then very hard to read if not impossible. We're using screen protectors and the standard stylus that comes with the Archer.

We're looking at buying a rubber tipped stylus as well as an Invisible Shield protective screen (I've used these on my phone and they're very good however that's with finger use and minimal dust).

The only other thing I guess we need to do is clean the screen of any dust when not in use.

Has anyone had any experience with this problem and have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Regards

Craig
Craig Davis

Re: Archer and screen protection?

Postby saltitone » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm

I use "Write Shield" screen protectors from PPC Tech [http://www.ppctechs.com/] They are cut to fit the Archer screen and I work in extremely dusty conditions and I usually use 2 or 3 per year.
saltitone

Postby Craig Davis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:01 pm

We're trying a different screen protector to see if that makes a difference. We're also using a different stylus (as the archer one has already been lost). It might have just been a bad stylus.

The stylus I've ordered with a rubber tip is attached to a lanyard. I was planning on attaching it to the bracket for the Archer and see how it goes.

How do you use your stylus? Connected to the device or carrying it in hand? Also was it the original stylus that came with the Archer?

It's good to know that it shouldn't be an ongoing problem.

Thanks for the reply.
Craig Davis

Postby saltitone » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 am

I used the original stylus with the "WriteShield" protectors before it was lost and now I use a Sokkia stylus and have found no difference. I do find that after a long period of time that the areas that are frequently used the protective coating wears away and then the protector will be scratched. That is my indication to replace the screen protector.

Sal
saltitone

Postby Craig Davis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for the info Sal.

Much appreciated.
Craig Davis

Return to FieldGenius