Static GPS data logging

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Static GPS data logging

Postby raconsultnv » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 am

Page 375 of the manual states, GPS Toolbar | Settings | Raw Data Logging, the receiver is a Novatel OEM3, which is supported as the manual states: however if I click on GPS toolbar setting there is no screen as shown on page 375.

Let me back up for a moment and say what I am trying to do is a static survey of a single point and send the information to Opus for post processing. Can you do a static survey of a single point using FG? If so can you list the steps.

When I open a project in FG on the Project Review screen I can enter the Raw data file name and I can review it.

The version of FG is 4.1.0(2009-06-23)

Thanks RA
raconsultnv

Re: Static GPS data logging

Postby Edward Gasbarre » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 pm

I use an ALTUS APS-3 with field genius, our OHIO RTN and OPUS. I set up a tolerance mode (recording mask) to take a shot every second for 1200 seconds. (use an adapter and a real tripod) This data is logged to a data card inside the GPS unit. This gives me a 20 minute Rapid Static session to send to OPUS and also gives me my RTK position as a check. You may want to check under the Control Button once you are initialized, to find the data logging screen.
Edward Gasbarre

Postby raconsultnv » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks, I thought I had the latest version of FG installed in fact I was about 3 patches behind. The reading file for the latest version has an explanation on static data, so I should be good to go ..... Thanks RA
raconsultnv

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 am

Hello,

On some of our older drivers, the OEM 3 would be one of them, we don't always have support for controlling the raw data logging features on the receiver. If after you install the new version you don't see a "logging" button in the GPS settings/task menu, then that would indicate that this option isn't supported by FieldGenius.

You could try the newer OEM drivers as your model and see if that will connect up to your receiver. Novatel throughout their different models share a lot of the same commands so it just may work.

Take care.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby raconsultnv » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks Jason - working with this older model of GPS has been interesting and in fact it has made me review a lot of things, so it has been good. Still using MicroSurvey and trying to sell it to everyone who stops by the office. Working on this 1.5 billion dollar project gives me a chance to draw some great graphic representation and of course all in 3D and Color. The D View feature works great with the ping solution. So thanks again for all the support I have received from MicroSurvey.

RA
RA Thompson Consult
Las Vegas, NV.
raconsultnv

Return to FieldGenius