Field Genius releases

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Field Genius releases

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:40 pm

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of announcements here (Forum) on releases of a new update. The 'Latest News' doesn't mention it.
I see there is now a release 4.4.0 - stumbled on that the other day.

Can someone please say if the Stake lIne from 2 points problem is now fixed. That was when we stake a point along that line (chose 2 points) and then revert to stake more along the nominated line and FG has lost its focus and there is no line to stake.
I would still like to update but not if this is still the way it works.

Whilst asking I didn't see any mention in the release notes (unless I missed it) of additional stakeout options. Slope staking to be specific.
Last week I was asked to apply a 5% crossfall from random points along a road, keeping the high edge fixed and just placing stakes along the low side of the road at grade from opposite side. The object was to correct the crossfall and leave one edge of road intact.
This is a common (very) need and also a long asked for option. Its just a simple inclusion in the reporting of data thats needed. Hit the 'i' button and it gives slope and horizontal distance and bearing, vertical height difference but no vertical slope.
The real solution would be to include it in the live output - cut/ fill, in/out etc.
That was a rather embarrassing and frustrating effort with blokes standing by and all the swish surveying gear and to have to revert to other options to get the task done.

[BTW - the links don't seem to match. This one http://www.microsurvey.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=336 shows that release, but http://www.microsurvey.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=82&pcid=25&nav=0,1,4,25 doesn't.]
Richard Sands

Re: Field Genius - Slope Staking @ % Grade

Postby DKNTEC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 pm

I also STRONGLY again request this percentage grade slope staking feature per Richard's request in his paragraph 3.
It is common survey task.
Richard has asked for this before, years ago now - I 'seconded it' then, & do so again now!

This feature would be extremely useful to me also, & thus I would think for many others too.

It could be used in a variety of applications - surface grading as Richard notes here, fill slopes based on % slope (instead on the usual 1 1/2: 1 or 2:1 or whatever), pole offset locations as was discussed in a previous post about this requested feature, etc, etc, etc. Perhaps for pipeline grading too.

I would like the ability to have the specified slope determined in at least 2 ways;
-from points with a defined azimuth or bearing direction
-at specified offset(s) from a 3D line between points
That would be the basics, and enough to make this simple tool very useful in many ways.

Offsets from horizontal curves between points could maybe be a further enhancement, but the basics noted above would do for me.

Getting into working from vertical curve profiles would NOT be warranted for this simple straightforward tool, in my opinion.
By then I'd be into a Roading job.

I know this % slope grading can already be done in a roundabout way in Roading, but it is overkill to build & use Roading just for this simple task, if you are don't need it for other aspects in a particular job.

Daniel
DKNTEC

Re: Field Genius releases

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:55 am

We released a small service pack for FieldGenius labeled version 4.4.0.8.

No staking improvements in this release. I strongly suggest not using the forum as a feature request dumping ground, it is too easy for these things to get missed here in our user forum. We implemented a feature request forum that we will be using a lot to decide what features need to be worked on. Please add your ideas or requests there instead, it will have a better chance of getting implemented if you do.

feedback.microsurvey.com
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm

thanks Jason
Does your comment
No staking improvements in this release
mean that this hasn't been fixed 'say if the Stake lIne from 2 points problem is now fixed. That was when we stake a point along that line (chose 2 points) and then revert to stake more along the nominated line and FG has lost its focus and there is no line to stake.' .
That was my reason for downgrading after upgrading to latest at time.

As mentioned I am happy to upgrade again but not while this is still an issue.
Richard Sands

Postby Jason Poitras » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi Richard,

We haven't changed anything with any staking routines yet.

A work around that may work for you is to draw a line between the points, then just select the line and stake it. At least that way you wouldn't have to enter point ids each time you return to the line to stake it.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to FieldGenius