Tracker and Windows 7

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Tracker and Windows 7

Postby jmahun » Tue May 10, 2011 3:32 pm

We have some original Trackers with a serial only connection. Windows Mobile Device Center in Windows 7 doesn't recognize the Tracker when it's connected to the computer's serial port. I've gone as far as turning off Window's firewall to make sure none of the ports are blocked but still cannot get connected.
How do I get Windows 7 and the Tracker to communicate?
jmahun

Re: Tracker and Windows 7

Postby RaithCH » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:59 am

Hi, I just experienced the same problem. The solution is actually simple, but it took me 1.5 hours to get it all figured out.
You need to download the Windows Mobile Device Center (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14), once installed the MicroSurvey Transfer program will install without problem. The Windows Mobile Device Center needs to be configures (connection settings) before it will work with the Tracker. The default is USB and Bluetooth. Where it says Bluetooth you get the option of switching to COM1 (or what ever your serial port you use). Also toggle on allow auto device authentication and allow data connections on device when connected to PC. Then you connect with PC115 connect from the Tracker. Simple as that. ;-)
RaithCH

Re: Tracker and Windows 7

Postby jmahun » Mon May 07, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks for the info. We're running win 7 Pro 64-bit so I re-installed the 64-bit version of WMDC (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=3182).
I thought if I selected "Allow connections to the following" that it would use any of the ports in the dropdown list. But I guess that's not the case as I had to select the specific port off the list.
Anyway, I got it to work and I appreciate the help.
jmahun

Return to FieldGenius