Activesync 4.5 and Windows XP SP3

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Activesync 4.5 and Windows XP SP3

Postby rjbreedlove » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 am

I have been having continual trouble with my Transfer Program, Active Sync since I upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3. It will momentarily connect, but then unexpectedly drop the connection when I try to transfer files. I have tried this on several of my computers and finally I installed it onto a new computer only to have the same problem occur. Since the FieldGenius Transfer Utility relies on this program in order to work, I would hope that someone has discovered the workaround for this issue.
I have not found any solutions by reading over the knowledgebase or on Windows Website.
any one else have this issue??
Thanks
Robert J Breedlove
Ga RLS 2228
Bravely surveying into the unknown future!
Learning new ideas, trends and seeking new horizons!
rjbreedlove

Re: Activesync 4.5 and Windows XP SP3

Postby getrsurveyed » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:17 pm

ActiveStink Stinks !
When my computer crashed a while back I had to reinstall it and got the newer version (4.5) off the net
and its worse than the last version. I finally have it working but it will only see one of my com ports (1)
I use it for two devices and I have to unplug each one and recofigure it each time I use it... daily !
I have been tempted to try and find the older version to see if it works better... it used to before the crash.

Not an answer to your question but .. I have 4.5 working (Barely) on my XP SP3 machine. Try a re-install or
better yet try the older version.
getrsurveyed

Re: ActiveSync 4.5 and Windows XP SP3

Postby DKNTEC » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 am

Hi
I use ActiveSync 4.5.0 (Build 5096) with WIN XP Pro SP3 and it works fine for me.
I have FG2007 in a '2nd generation' Tracker data collector, yellow case, Backspace key in lower right corner, with 9 pin serial port. MSCAD 2010 Premium SP2 V10.3.0.4 with it's current transfer program, Intel 3.0 GHz desktop computer 2.0 GB RAM.

The key for me is to WAIT A FEW SECONDS after plugging in the serial cable, BEFORE turning on the Tracker.
And to be sure there is adequate battery juice in the DC.

The sequence I use is;
1- Exit all programs in the Tracker DC, so it is just in the Windows shell,
2-Turn OFF the Tracker,
3- Plug in the battery charger & let it charge for a bit to be sure it has some juice,
4- With the Tracker still turned OFF, and still plugged into charger, plug in the serial cable to port on Tracker,
5- WAIT 10 SECONDS,
6- Turn ON the Tracker,
7- WAIT 10 SECONDS,
8- Tap on PC LINK icon on Tracker screen.
This makes the connection, starts Active Sync & the Transfer program automatically, & I'm good to go.

If I do that, it works every time.

Maybe it would work with a few less seconds waiting time, and maybe #7 isn't necessary, but the above works for me.
I think the key is #5 - to wait a few seconds before turning on the DC. I dunno why, you'd think it wouldn't make any difference if the DC is not yet turned on, but it does for me.
This 'trick' was from advice years ago from Microsurvey, Brian Sloman I think, or perhaps Jason - I'd have to dig back in my notes to find the link.
I think that advice actually predates AS 4.5, but it is the routine I have used ever since.

I know if I'm in a hurry & DON'T wait, it usually 'stalls' & stops mid-connection.
To resolve that, I exit out of everything, turn off the Tracker, disconnect the serial cable, reboot the computer, do the sequence above, and it then works fine.

I find Microsurvey's transfer system 'slick' - it works well, and is reliable. Thanks Darcy.

Try that & see if it helps.
Let us know here in the forum.
Dan
DKNTEC

Postby rjbreedlove » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks to all the contributions to this issue.
I do finally have it working, but am also frustrated at how ActiveSync hogs resources on the XP.
I also have other devices that download to the computer, and because ActiveSync uses Com1, it hogs Com1 not allowing any other program to use it. And with the new version, 4.5, you can no longer exit ActiveSync to free up the Com port.
Anyway, Thanks for all the feedback.

Bob
Robert J Breedlove
Ga RLS 2228
rjbreedlove

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi Bob, I used to use a free little utility called "ActiveSync Toggle" that lets you easily enable/disable activesync with a couple clicks... try a google search for it, looks like it's still available on some download sites.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby rjbreedlove » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 am

Thanks a bunch!!
This little utility works great!!
Bob
Robert J Breedlove
Ga RLS 2228
rjbreedlove

Return to FieldGenius