Editing RTK localization

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Editing RTK localization

Postby Kari » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Seems to be trouble when attempting to solve an alternative localization.

Also,
I have found that if a new calc point is created after points have be added to the localization list (points have not been adjusted yet), measured points prior will not be adjusted when the localization is completed.
Kari

Re: Editing RTK localization

Postby Erle Dzus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 am

Erle Dzus

Postby Kari » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks but I am already fairly familiar with the Localization part of the manual.

What I find happens to the data during a localization point coordinate adjustment is that All gps measured points will be updated according "except" gps measued points created at an earlier time stamp then a calculated or manualy entered point. Therefore not "All" gps measured points are adjusted.

In this situation it becomes rather risky to resolve a localization at a later time in the project. Basically one ends up two separate coordinate systems in the same point file.
Kari

Postby Erle Dzus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:06 pm

I am attempting to reproduce here, but all my GPS points are transformed when recomputing.

I captured some GPS points, then added some user points. Then I captured some more GPS points. I tried different combinations of Calculating Parameters and Adjusting Points, but always ALL GPS points were transformed.

Could you post more detailed step-by-step instructions to reproduce this issue?

Thank you,
Erle
Erle Dzus

Postby Erle Dzus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:50 am

Please contact our HelpDesk for assistance with this issue.

Our support staff will be happy to help!

Regards,
Erle Dzus
Software Engineer
Erle Dzus

Postby Kari » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm

It takes me a while to reply due to my work enviroment but here goes.

Please try this order in your localization as follows;

1. Create a project with some pre-determined calculated points.

2. Create an averaged position autonumous point measured at the base receiver.

3. Measure a new point with the rover and add it to the localization, calc parameters to match up to a local point but do not adjust points at this time.

4. Using any cogo routine create a new calculated point.

5. Just to make sure things go array, use "stake point' to find the point, measure it and store the coordinates.

6. Next, measure another known point and add it to the localization, calc parameters and complete the localization by adjusting GPS measured points.

At this time if one reviews the point coordinates, any points measured points following step-4 or 5 should be adjusted accordingly yet preceeding points are not adjusted. I hope I am laying out the order of operation correctly as I'm going by memory only and have left out a lot of items common to most users.

I believe the break point in adjusting "All' Measured points occurs at the location in the point file where a Non Measured class point exists. This same senario will occur if one begins a survey, localizes, completes some cogo and later decides the localization is unsatisfactory and attempts to re-localize. Kind of surprised there is no other mention of this situation as of yet.

If something sounds fuzzy I'm happy to try clarify it.

Thanks
kari
Kari

Postby James Johnston » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Kari,

It does sound like the system is working as intended, although it's not perfect as your example shows.

The key here is understanding how the raw file works:

Any point that you calculate using the cogo routines will be recorded in the raw file as a simple "SP" record. It's just a fixed coordinate and no record is stored as to how the point was derived.

But if you shoot a point using GPS it is stored with a full complement of data about how the point was created, including the latitude/longitude/ellipsoidal elevation.

You can refer to the document linked to below for for details:

http://www.microsurvey.com/helpdesk2/in ... servations

Also, if you were you set up on one of your previously GPS measured points and then traverse to some new points using a total station the raw file would store all necessary information about how that point was derived.

Whenever you hit the "adjust points" button the software will:

1. take note of the revised transformation parameters
2. recalculate the Northings and Eastings of each GPS measured point from the lat/long values
3. reprocess any traverse data that is derived from GPS measured points
4. and any "SP" records will simply be re-stored in their original coordinate values, they won't be updated.

If your workflow would be affected by this limitation, how about this as an alternative:

Rather than using the COGO calc tools to calculate new points, select the instrument type "Total Station Demo" That allows you to simulate traversing to/through points you want to calculate. And it would record the necessary traverse data in the raw file so that if you hit adjust points in the future the calced points will be shifted. I know that you won't be able to do intersections etc but if you're just punching in lines from a legal plan this would be entirely do-able.
James Johnston

Postby Kari » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:46 am

Looks like we are thinking on slightly different paths.

I wasn't attempting to have the calculated SP points adjusted at all. Just needed to have all GPS measured points adjusted. I find that GPS points measured prior to a calc point or staked point remain unadjusted.

I can manage to work with this problem by keeping in mind to not store a GPS staked point or calculated point if GPS measured points have already been added to the localization list and not adjusted yet.
Kari

Return to FieldGenius