Stakeout

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Stakeout

Postby Richard Sands » Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 am

I wonder how others are finding the new Stakeout routine?
Many of my jobs I have no design to stake but the need arises to stake something. Most often just to check shot a point placed from a previous station.

But unless there is a list created or one has actually staked something then one can't use the Stake routine as its locked out unless a List has been created.

It can be done by tapping a point on screen but I find it difficult and often impossible to get past the dxf linework as that is all that can be selected. (any ideas on how to select a point and not the lines are welcome - other than turning those layers off)
With multiple points in a small area it is even more difficult.

A point can't be searched for and staked either from the database point list so it becomes a frustrating process.

Not sure what others think but can we please have it made to work without first having to create a list. (as it did in previous versions)
The keyboard shortcuts are an excellent way to invoke a routine and beat having to dive into menus and submenus etc.
Richard Sands

Re: Stakeout

Postby getrsurveyed » Sat May 19, 2012 2:48 am

I very seldom have a "list" of points to stake but do use the stakeout routine to set corners. I found it cumbersome to have to create a list prior to staking a point until I discovered you could just tap a point and select the stakeout routine. I don't have trouble with the lines if I zoom in close to select the point. So.. I was used to the old way but I think the new way will be fine, I just don't need the listing function... I suppose some do.

I have also discovered that you can inverse this way too.. by picking a point as opposed to going to the menu
getrsurveyed

Postby Richard Sands » Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 am

yes thats OK and the way I always did my staking (pick point) but now with last 3 versions of FG(2010, 2011 & 2012) when one zooms in close it instantly shuts down and I have to restart Field Genius.
I wouldn't need to zoom in so close if i could just pick a point and not the linework.

I'm not bothered with the list bit either, but not being able to use the shortcut key is a really tiresome problem.
That would tend to overcome the two issues above but I would also like those to not be an issue at all.
Richard Sands

Postby getrsurveyed » Sat May 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Richard.. I reported the "zoom in" issue and it has been sent to the programers
I've been using the Nautiz the last couple months and have not had a problem with
picking points.
getrsurveyed

Postby Erle Dzus » Tue May 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi, I'll chime in here regarding the changes to Stakeout routines.

The recent enhancements to Staking will filter points based on Survey Role, so it skips points that were already staked, and points that were measured. Based on feedback from our recent Beta cycle very similar to your post, I've just completed a few modifications so that FieldGenius will ignore this new filtering functionality when "Use Stake List" option is turned off.

Changes to date will appear in FieldGenius version 6.0.1.4 or later and allow you to stake any point without regard to the Survey Role assigned to the point. This release should be available shortly.

Apologies for the inconvience,
Best Regards,
Erle Dzus
MicroSurvey

PS. I'll keep the dxf linework/point selection issue in mind as we move forward.
Erle Dzus

Postby Richard Sands » Thu May 31, 2012 1:32 am

Thanks Erle
That will be very good.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby getrsurveyed » Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks Erle !

One way to deal with the Points/Lines issue would be to have a pick option to set for Points or Lines..
just giving priority to one or the other.
I very seldom want to pick a line and if I do I can pick one away from any points..
getrsurveyed

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 am

has anyone tried the updated version in Stakeout mode?
I installed 6.0.1.5 on my MX and it allowed me to use the shortcut for the first point which I staked but thereafter I couldn't chose any other points of my likeing.
I went to chose another (shortcut key) and it just jumped to next available point.
I then created a 1 point list then selected that and it went off to a random point number.
Had to give it away for the day!
Richard Sands

Postby Erle Dzus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Richard,
Perhaps your staking settings are not set to defaults?

The default staking settings for FieldGenius are:
- Fade Staked-Out Points = off
- Display Point Staking Screen = on
- Display Stake Results Screen = on
- Store Stake Point = off
- Show Staked-Stored Points = on
- Use Stake List = off
- Find Next Nearest = off

Go to Options | Staking and make sure your settings match, or delete your msurvey.ini file to reset to defaults.

When "Use Stake List" and "Find Next Nearest" are both turned off, the stake points are presented in the order they exist in the point database.

The shortcut key "S" pops up the Point Staking dialog. Either type in the point number you wish to stake, or use the Prev & Next buttons to iterate through the points in your point database. The "Nearest Search" button will locate the point closest to current robotic prism position, (or current GNSS receiver position), or last shot if using conventional Total Stations.

Survey Role of the point is not changed unless "Use Stake List" is turned on.

Hope this helps,
Best Regards,
Erle
Erle Dzus

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

thanks Erle
I see the 'Display Point Staking Screen = on' was OFF.
Checked that and will try out.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:13 pm

Yes that did the trick - Thanks Erle.
Worked well today.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius