FG2005 and Sokkia Radian

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

FG2005 and Sokkia Radian

Postby SJR » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:41 pm

I am aware that it is a high priority but as yet with no time scale; getting FG2005 to configure the Sokkia Radian Receiver to work effectively for RTK. I have a crude work around which has limited functionality but it wastes a lot of time setting up.
I would be grateful to hear from similar users and how they are managing mean time.
Stuart Ross
SJR

Postby Adams » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:27 am

We have a sokkia backpack and power supply cable to use camcorder batts for the radian and use it as the rover and the radian IS to be the base and have no problems with it. This is the same set up that was used w/ the SDR 8100 that we were using. The only thing that we have noticed is that if you switch data collectors back and forth the receivers have to be rebooted, so we stopped using the SDR. Hope this helps.
Adams

FG and Radian

Postby SJR » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:01 am

Thanks for that. My main problem is that when configuring the Radian Rover receiver and Pacific Crest radios using FG it continues to behave like a base station in that it simultaneously transmits and receives RTK corrections. RTK range seems limited and of course the batteries run down really quickly.
Also auto record by distance travelled does not work when configured by FG only by time elapsed.
I seem to be able to configure the Rover Receiver using the SDR8100 and SDR software prior to connecting the FG Allegro but this is a lot of messing about with cables and if you do let the batteries go flat on the receiver you have to repeat the exercise again.
In some respects the previous release of FG worked better with the Radian except, critically, it prevented raw GPS data being recorded to the base station.
Stuart Ross
SJR

Postby Jason Poitras » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:29 pm

Hi Stuart,

We tried to get the manufacturer to send us some equipment for testing but we didn't hear anything back from them.

So one of our customers lent us his equipment and sent it to our office so we could run some test. We fixed the problem with the connection that would prevent the user from connecting at a baud rates greater than 9600. We've setup the driver so it doesn't try to over ride the baud rate so whatever you have the receiver set to, it will just use that. We found that a baud rate of 38400 worked really well with FieldGenius.

This updated driver will be available in the next version. Let me know if you want to test it by signing up for the beta.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby mlbrack » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:38 pm

I am having an identical problem. Radian IS rover and base. Only getting a postion about every 10 seconds. No configuration changes on the gps or FG2006 on Tracker. Only option seems to be 9600 baud. 10 sec wait time is a killer.
mlbrack

Return to FieldGenius