MSCAD Help Movies

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MSCAD Help Movies

Postby T.M. Moretz » Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:22 am

When intalling the MSCAD2002 program I elected to do a "minimal install" to save valuable hard drive space, as a result the many help movies were not loaded. I have now discovered that none of them are available to watch even with the CD in the drive :cry: . Is there a way to watch them without reloading them into my computor? It would be nice if they were listed individually on the CD instead of being combined in some file and hidden. I have the Lotus movie player installed; could I aquire a separate CD with just the movies on it?
T.M. Moretz

Movies

Postby Glen Cameron » Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:49 pm

Unfortunately there is no longer enough space on a single CD to be able to provide the entire program, along with everything else we need to provide, along with all of the movies and have them uncompressed and accessible individually.

Due to this we made a decision to compress all of the movies into 1 file and when installing to the hard drive, they are decompressed so they can be accessed from the hard drive.

We currently do not have the movies available on a separate CD but if you have a CD burner, you could very easily create one for your own convenience. Simply install the movies to your hard drive - burn them to a CD and then remove them from your hard drive.

In the future we may be able to ship them on a separate CD, for those that would be interested.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Good idea

Postby T.M. Moretz » Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:32 am

I do have a CD burner but I'm not sure which file on the MSCAD CD contains the movies.
T.M. Moretz

Movies

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:19 am

I guess I was not clear on what I was trying to suggest. :?

If you take the time to install the movies to your hard drive, then burn a CD of all the movies (uncompressed in the movie folder), you could then later play them from the CD, as if they were actually on the hard drive (even though you have since erased them to free up the hard drive space again).

We can't ship them uncompressed because of all the other stuff we need on the CD but the movies will fit on a CD on their own, uncompressed.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Movies

Postby T.M. Moretz » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:58 am

I'm just a little slow on the uptake sometimes. Are you suggesting that I act as if I'm going to intall the program again, choose custom install, and install only the movies? :shock: This would be very easy.
T.M. Moretz

Movie Install

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:01 am

You are on the right train of thought. When you insert the CD you get the standard first screen with the menu of options, including the install of MSCAD.

When you pick on this, the first question asked is if you wish to convert a demo to and authorized program - ANSWER NO.
Then when asked if you wish to MODIFY, REPAIR or REMOVE the program, you would need to pick on MODIFY, and then Next.

On the next screen - be sure to pick everything - not just the movies. If you pick only the movies then the other modules will actually be uninstalled. With everything checked, it will add anything that was not installed before, and not do anything to the modules that were installed already. Then pick Next.

The process should continue and now the movies should be added to your system in the movies folder.

Now burn a CD with all the movies and then remove them from the hard drive. You can then play the movies from your home grown CD.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Thanks Glen....

Postby T.M. Moretz » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:30 am

it worked like a charm.
T.M. Moretz

Return to MicroSurvey CAD