Point Styles

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Point Styles

Postby Bill Tellier » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:31 am

I use a program now that allows me to set the layer for all of the attributes of a Point as well as creating a "Style" for the point such as Curb, Road, Lot, Lod, etc..The layer for the point Node and/or Block, Point Number, Description, and Elevation are all different allowing me to turn Off/On any layer thereby avoiding screen clutter. I can also select any type of point based on it's style name making it very easy to manipulate a group of points. In Cad2002 I'm setting points and then selecting them by range and using the Graphical Database Editor/Process Group/Layer Change command to create and re-set the points Node, Number, Description and Elevation layers..Man this is a lot of work, can't you create something similar to do this automatically?..The same goes for the Automap program. Placing all of the point's attributes on 4 different layers will allow the cad user to turn off/on whatever layers he needs to get and/or see pertinent information on the screen, thereby saving a lot of time and stress. I'll be available for any help you need when you start on this program.

BT
Bill Tellier

Layering

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:12 pm

Other programs out there such as LDD or Eagle Point use something called Point Blocks for every survey point. Those point blocks have attributes for the text and they do permit you to do more with the layering, as you have described.

We do not use point blocks in our program. We use something called Extended Entity Data, which does operate differently. There are advantages in both systems of operation.

AutoMAP does permit some layering options and in future version this will be expanded to cover areas such as you are asking for, to automate the process.

The new ADT has the same options as the Gaphical Database Editor but you may find it a bit easier to use. It is still more work, for people that like to organize their work like you do, than the point block method used by other programs.

When we get to changing the program in these areas, we would be happy to have customers test these for us. MArk Budgen, in our head office would be the one to speak with about doing Beta testing, when we get to that stage.

Thank you for your input!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD