program crashes

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

program crashes

Postby dean malott » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:21 am

i have been experiencing crashes while drafting using mscad 2005,
i am running over a network and i seem to be having two crashes a day (on average), i have been trying to ignore this problem but my patience is running out. has anyone else been experiencing a similar problem ?

have a good day.

ps i have service pack 1.3 installed
dean malott

network crashes

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:37 am

Have you tried copying the job (all files related to the job) to a local drive and work on it there, to see if the crashes continue? (then copy the job back for archival, as required) This would be a good test to see what happens.

If they do not, then the problem may be related to the network.

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Ron Mak » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:48 am

We have several users running here and all of our data is on network drives. Two of our users have had significant stability issues. In one case, we reinstalled windows xp and started from scratch. In the other case, simply re-installing SP1.3 (repair option) did the trick.

LAN performance seems to be important factor. Older & slower computers seem to have large "pauses" while working with big jobs, and clicking on icons during a "pause" usually results in a crash. If the user just waits for the command to finish, then things are usually ok.

Something else that cause problems was "cloning" hard drives. Our tech guy does this to speed up the process of getting a new PC up, but it causes problems with the licensing file. After starting up MSCad on the cloned PC, it prompts for the registratin process which can be completed as normal, but the program is not stable. To solve that problem, we went to Lisa (one of the keepers of the keys at MicroSurvey) who reset the license for us. No problems since then.
Ron Mak

Return to MicroSurvey CAD