Point Scaling & Redraw Errors

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Point Scaling & Redraw Errors

Postby ch51 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:16 am

I have a file from a recon running Field Genius, downloaded into MSCad 2004, converted to a dwg, and opened in MSCad 2005 (running SP 1.3). It is a simple points file, no linework yet, etc. All layers are thawed, and my toggles are set to display all point information (Elevation, Description, etc.) When I try to rescale the points (or, on further testing, even just doing a rescale drawing) I get a long string of error messages (for every point):

Error updating point?
Error: Could not create point number: (the point number is here)!
Error: Could not create description text!

At this stage, the program seems to have created the points, but the point numbers (the point number layer, not the IPN ones) are missing, as are the descriptions - with a couple of exceptions. The IPN numbers are present, and using the Store and Edit Points command all the point information seems to be present - it just isn't displaying properly. I don't want to get deep into a large project if this is how it's starting - I tried the same file in MSCad 2004 with no errors.

Further testing seems to show that a second application of "rescale drawing" brings the "point number" & "descripton" layers back. I'm not sure what's up with these error messages though. Is this an error anyone else has run into? Have I found a new bug (lucky me)?
ch51

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:38 am

I might suggest when you first bring the job from 2004 into 2005, that you open it with the "Audit Database and Drawing on Load" option turned on. I have seen what you describe on 1 other occasion and doing this fixed something that was wrong in the database.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Darcy Detlor » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:54 am

This sounds like the defaults file may be messed up. I would check the defaults for the missing text items and see if the numbers for Leroy size, etc. make sense. If they are zeros, then you will need to reset to factory defaults, or copy the incad.cfg file from a different job.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby ch51 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:38 pm

The defaults were fine, so it's not that.

Personally, I think it's a toggle between Field Genius (2005) & MSCad 2005. Something that MSCad 2004 <doesn't care about> but which is giving MSCad 2005 a bit of grief. The information is there - it just doesn't want to display (until a second rescale is applied).
ch51

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:02 am

After the FG collector files are read into MSCAD2004 the program no longer knows where they came from. It is just points in the database and traverse data in the traverse file.

When rescaling the job, it does not know where the points came from.

When saved to a DWG file and read into MSCAD2005 - again the program does not know or care where the original data came from - it just knows it has coordinates and traverse files, etc. with the labeling defaults to control how they should be handled.

When opening the job in MSCAD2005 - did the "Audit Database and Drawing on Load" option solve this issue? If the drawing is already open, try typing in MSAUDIT and see what it finds, if anything.

If running the rescale command twice seems to solve the problem and not have anything else going wrong - then at least you are able to work.

We would like to get a copy of the MSCAD2004 job files, prior to MSCAD2005 seeing them, if possible. This way we could try and reproduce the issue and find a solution, if possible. Please zip them up and email them to me, if you still have them.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby ch51 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:54 am

The "Audit Database and Drawing on Load" option <sort of> solved the issue ... it felt that there was a problem with the elevation on the point that I was scaling around (point # 1) ... though this elevation problem doesn't seem to exist in the 2004 file. This in turn created 3 <line errors>.
After loading, the file was fine other than the elevation at point #1.

I'll send you the original 2004 file.
ch51

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:19 pm

I saved your job to my hard drive and opened it into MSCAD2004 with the Audit option turned on. Nothing was found as a problem. I rescaled the drawing and it worked fine.

So I then saved the job to a different folder as a 2004/2005 DWG file format. I then exited MSCAD2004 and opened the job up in MSCAD2005 with the Audit option turned on. No problems found on load. I then ran the rescale drawing command with no problem at all – first time and first command.

: msaudit
Testing Coordinate Database... ... done.
Testing Line/Arc database.... ... done.
Testing all points (dots), lines, arcs, and text... ... done.
Database Test Ok. No Errors found.

I am not sure why you have any problem at all being it worked perfectly here.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD