Question about Customizing Aliases…

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

ianw2

Question about Customizing Aliases…

Post by ianw2 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:35 am

In previous versions, we could customize the keyboard by selecting the key or key combination and typing in the command to link to those key strokes. Now, it appears that we must select the commands from a partial list of commands.

In 2004, I had the FASTAREA command aliased to “FA”. I can’t find FASTAREA in the command list in 2005. Is there a way around this?

As I mentioned during MSCAD2005 training with Mark Cahill, I like to have the commands I use regularly aliased to key strokes on my left hand. That way, I can issue commands with my left hand and keep my right hand on my mouse making drafting much more efficient.

We held off “converting” to 2005 for so long because it was such a “Weltanschauung” shift for me in changing CAD engines. The training from Mark was fantastic! 2005 is such and improvement!

PS - Now I know what Darcy means when he says i use MSCAD differently than everyone else!! :lol:
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044

rwhatman

Post by rwhatman » Mon May 15, 2006 11:51 am

You work just like I do. Left hand Aliaes commands.

You can add it by exporting Alises file, then import the file after you add the command.

Too much bother for me.

I now like the way the buttons work. Yea got more buttons now.

There is a tool bar MS AREA that has the fast AREA on it.

Glen Cameron

Aliases

Post by Glen Cameron » Mon May 15, 2006 12:03 pm

There is a file called MSCAD2005.PGP (found in this folder, C:\Program Files\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2005\SUPPORT) which contains the following default information:

;MSCAD 2005 Alias File
;Use the following examples to help you create your file
;---------
;This will start the COGO command
CG,*COGO
;This will set the bearing style to style # 1
BS1,*(set_bearing_style 1)
;This will set the distance style to style # 1
DS1,*(set_distance_style 1)

You can follow the examples and add your own aliases. Details:

CG .... is the alias to type
, .... a seperator
* .... tells us the command is coming next
COGO .... this is the actual command that you would type on the command line or pick from the menu.

You can add as many as you wish.

Once you have this file edited and saved - we need to read it into the MSCAD 2005 program.

To do this, run the Customize command. Pick on the Alias tab -> Pick on the Import button at the bottom of the dialog. On the next dialog, change the file type to PGP. Make sure the "Append to Existing Aliases" is on - then find and load the PGP file we edited above.

This will read in the aliases you setup and make them available in all jobs on this machine. You only need to do this once, unless you add more aliases.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

ianw2

Post by ianw2 » Mon May 15, 2006 12:31 pm

Outstanding, Glen! I knew there had to be a way! Oh, since Mark gave me a certificate, I assume I passed the course!

RH- Thanks! I didn't hink I was alone in the world! BTW - did you ever get the IWLS hat?

Ian
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044

Glen Cameron

Post by Glen Cameron » Mon May 15, 2006 12:48 pm

I was the one who created the certificate. I guess you passed if you got it! :)

I got the hat last year and emailed you a photo of me wearing it. Thank you very much - a prized possession!
Richard - you must do the same!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario