MS Point Menu (Crash)

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MS Point Menu (Crash)

Postby digger662 » Mon May 29, 2006 8:23 am

I have MS CAD 2005 with all service pack updates to 1.3. I have use the stand alone check out option, and I am using my laptop to "Store and Edit Points".

Once I select a new point (I already have some points that were created on my desktop) #400 the program crashes. When I re-open the program everything seems fine, sometimes I get the error that the program "could not open the coordinate database file"

I tried this numerous times and seem to get the same result, the point that I am able to select before the crash is not stored in the coordinate file, and my other points seem fine.

Corey
digger662

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon May 29, 2006 11:11 am

After a crash like this, the database is damaged and you may or may not be able to salvage it. You can try this: When in the MicroSurvey Project Manager, right above the open button there is an option "Audit Database and Drawing on Load". Try turning it on then pick the open button to open your project.

If this does not work, then you may need to go back to your backup database. Via Windows, you would need to rename the MBK file to MSD (after moving the current MSD file to another folder) and then open it as mentioned above, with Audit on.

If this does not work, then you may need to build a new MSD database file. You can do this by deleting (or moving) the MSD file and then open the drawing as mentioned above, with Audit on.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Still crashes

Postby digger662 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:38 am

Glen, "Audit Database and Drawing on Load" did fix my database, however I still get a program crash when I try to "store and edit points", I suspect it has something to do with checking MS CAD out to my laptop.

Any other ideas? Something I could watch for or check?

Corey
digger662

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue May 30, 2006 4:49 am

Checking out the lisence to your laptop should have nothing to do with the issue at hand. That is strictly the ability for the program to start up in a lisenced mode or in demo mode (expired or not).

Does the lockup you describe happen in every job or just one particular job? If it is only one then there may be a problem with that job. Is the database set to read only, in Windows?

If it is happening on all jobs then you may need to reinstall the program with the Repair option - or uninstall the program, delete the MSCAD2005 folder, then do a clean reinstall.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed May 31, 2006 12:03 pm

Does this crash occur if you are snapping onto some specific entity, such as lines in a block or an xref? I've seen this happen occasionally, and if there are any blocks involved, try exploding them.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to MicroSurvey CAD