Proxy to Fieldgenius problems

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Proxy to Fieldgenius problems

Postby nvolny » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:57 am

Am exporting a project from MSCAD2005 to Fieldgenius 2004. The dxf file is not generating as it usually does with the export whole drawing box checked. I tried saving the file as a dxf and it is huge. Around 6megs. When I imported the dxf there were lines running akimbo everywhere that should not have been there. I think I have it narrowed down to being a problem with proxy entities. Once I erase enough layers the problem goes away. My question is, is there an easy quick way to identify proxy entities in a drawing so they can be eliminated? The drawing was originally done by me with my layer system then an engineer did his design and added 100 extra layers which makes sorting through to find the offensive entities a bit tedious.

Proxy Entities

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:00 am

Proxy entities are a royal pain in the butt! :(

Our CAD program can not do anything with them, so exporting data may not always work correctly.

A Proxy entity is basically something unique in the drawing, defined in anouther program (LDD is a common source of them), that is not a normal CAD entity and can not be understood by and used correctly by any other program other then the one it was created by.

We see contours and points coming from LDD as proxy entities all the time - we can't do much with them except see the info. What you should ask your engineer to do is not use proxy entities, or explode them so they become regular CAD entities that can be used and worked with in MSCAD.

The only way to know what is a proxy entitiy is to run the LIST command and see what it tells you.

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Brian Sloman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:27 am

The PROXYSHOW command is also handy for quickly identifying proxies, just type proxyshow and set it to a value of 0 (0 hides all proxies and 1 shows all proxies) then do a regen, and anything that is a proxy will disappear from the screen.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby nvolny » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks for the response.

Return to MicroSurvey CAD