[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - Creating new linetypes

Creating new linetypes

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Creating new linetypes

Postby abacuspros » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:52 am

I am working on a job where specific linetypes are required by the client.

The ones I need are not in the drop down menu, how can I create a new linetype?
abacuspros

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:00 am

The easiest way would be to edit the file called ICAD.LIN and copy an existing linetype to the bottom, and then edit it as desired. Then it will load with the rest of the linetypes in any new drawing.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

ICAD.LIN

Postby abacuspros » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:10 am

How do I edit the icad.lin file?

I'm sure this is a simple thing, but I am new to the drafting side of things.

Thanks in advance!
Shane Bowen
Abacus Professional Services
abacuspros

NEW LINETYPES

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:45 pm

Do a seacrh on 'ICAD.LIN ' and it will open as a text file. Copy and paste a linetype and play around with it. You can't really mess things up. It just wont show up as a linetype if you get it wrong or it'll look plain silly. Save it back to its origin and it should work - probably need to restart MSCAD.
Glen, I have trouble getting new linetypes with text to show at the size I want.
I changed the wording in a line type and it worked OK but the text was very small. I played around with line scale which changed the size of the text but I would like to be able to get the text to stay at size 2.0 eg (or whatever) no matter what the linetype setting is. Sometimes lines are too short to show the text and playing around with line settings gets tedious for short lines. regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby abacuspros » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Thanks Richard!
Shane Bowen
Abacus Professional Services
abacuspros

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:53 am

Richard - Linetype scales will always scale both the length of the segments as well as the size of the text.

Sample:

*Cable TV,Cable TV ---- TV ---- TV ---- TV ----
A,.5,-.2,["TV",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.2

This indicates a repeating pattern starting with a dash 0.5 drawing units long, a space 0.2 drawing units long, the characters TV with some scale and placement parameters, and another space 0.2 drawing units long.

The text characters come from the text font assigned to the STANDARD text style at a scale of 0.1, a relative rotation of 0 degrees, an X offset of --0.1, and a Y offset of -0.05. This pattern continues for the length of the line, ending with a dash 0.5 drawing units long.

S=value. The scale factor to be used for the text style relative to the scale of the linetype. The height of the text style is multiplied by the scale factor.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

LINETYPES - SCALING

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:31 pm

Thanks Glen, I thought (probably wistfully) there was some way to keep font sizes constant - ie scaled with the drawing. Maybe that’s something for the developers - just as graphics programs scale inks/ fill patterns etc.
regards Richard
Shane, what I also add is I have a shortcut direct to the icad.lin file on my computer. Helps if you do much editing. Probably worth making a backup of file in case something goes wrong.
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:38 pm

Another thought - we do have our advanced linetypes commands - TEXTLINE in particular, that may help for simple straight lines with text on it. The text here does remain at the same size as the current font in the drawing. They are not linetypes, but a lines drawn with the text inserted between them.

Found under the MsAnnotate menu -> Add Advanced Linetypes.
We have FenceLine, TextLine and TreeLine options.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

ADDITIONAL LINE TYPE OPTION

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:43 pm

I occasionaly use this Glen, but the disadvanage is it isn't a true line - lots of little bits which makes editing very difficult also is a very manual process (getting tired in old age). Never the less I wouldn't be without it. Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD