Can't select items in my drawing?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Postby ergols » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:22 am

I've gone into an Autocad drawing and tried to select linework and Microsurvey says it's not there, . . .?? I can draw a line, or a circle, and do it by snapping to the endpoint of the line that isn't there !!!?? I can't edit, erase, move or select any of the lines or text in the drawing. I exited the program, came back in (a couple of times) with the same results, or non-results if you will. I've had this happen before. These aren't proxy items, they're standard, recently created Autocad entities. I've done this sort of thing many times before without any problem. This seems to be a random thing. I'm using the 1.3 version of the program. Is this an issue that has a straightforward solution?
ergols

Postby ergols » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:27 am

Even better. I can't even select the linework that I've just drawn in the drawing !
ergols

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:38 am

Check to see if the layer is LOCKED! Entities on locked layers can not be selected.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby ergols » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:50 am

None of the layers are locked. I don't think we've ever locked our layers.
ergols

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:01 am

Please email me the DWG and MSD file so I can examine it.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby ergols » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:50 am

I've gone into the drawing yet again, (after receiving your e-mail saying that you could select and move everthing), and, lo and behold, the drawing is "behaving" normally again. I didn't change any settings. I just opened the drawing that I sent to you. Like I did several times this morning, only with repeated unsuccessful results. Like I said, this happens from time to time, without any apparent explanation. It doesn't happen a lot, but this morning it happened on a drawing that I was anxious to work on right away for a client. I probably just had my tongue sticking out of the wrong side of my mouth, or something, . . .

It appears that I'll just have to live with random, unpredictable ability to select drawing objects. Or maybe it's some higher power trying to get me to slow down a bit. Who knows.
ergols

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:09 am

Hard to say. I have not run into it before - except when a layer was locked.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

CANT SELECT

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:39 pm

I constantly get this problem - On jobs I start from scratch. The only way I can free 'it' is to close MSCAD and start again. I also find similar with turning layers off and freeze. The only way I can do that is explorer.
I cant see any reason for it - all layers on or some off some on. I seldom lock layers.
Happens on both my laptop and PC.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby jdbaker » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:23 am

I have also had this happen numerous times, the only way to solve the problem is by closing the program and restarting. My advice to ergols is to close the drawing file and the program, then restart the program and drawing file, this seems to solve the problem.
jdbaker

Return to MicroSurvey CAD