DRAWING ENHANCEMENTS

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Richard Sands

DRAWING ENHANCEMENTS

Post by Richard Sands » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:00 am

I wonder how many MSCAD users actually take there survey work and manipulate it in MSCAD to create complex drawings that get passed onto third parties. Most of my surveys are of this type.
It is in this whole area of enhancements to plans where most CAD programs get left gasping for air when compared to graphics packages. I know they have different purposes but the end result is a plan or drawing and how they are derived can be at the expense of much pain or much pleasure.
Hatches and linetypes are one area where CAD could take a leaf from graphics packages. Both are so easily created in graphics with just a few onscreen mouse clicks. Why shouldn't CAD have the same capability?
MicroSurvey will I imagine only put in place enhancements that we want, so I ask fellow users if they think such things are important?
I will add that it is so much easier to do most of my drawing enhancement in CAD as opposed to graphics and many graphics packages ought take a leaf from CAD programs - there are several plugins to fill that void but its another case of third party software to do what a program ought to be doing in the first place.
Apologising for a long post, but I encourage others that have read this far to add your comments here.
regards Richard

Alex Leonard

Post by Alex Leonard » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:43 pm

Richard,
I wholeheartedly aggree.
I too have one foot in each camp -and I too often find myself struggling in CAD to do what in my "other" world is so easy (and wondering why)
You mentioned fills (a.k.a. hatches) is one. The CAD approach I believe is based on the pen-plotter type of output device (as opposed to laser, ink-jet). Those devices are not good at solid fills (or their derivatives such as gradients). I suspect that since there are a lot of people out there still using plotters, that we will continue to see the old CAD-style hatches for a while - but why not build in the alternate approach too (just as we now can finally use True-Type fonts as opposed to .shx).
One of my "favorite" areas is in polyline vertex manipulation. Very limited in CAD compared to graphics programs. I'm urging the developers to give us vertex de-densification options. I'm also asking for the abillity to delete vertices "in-line" (singly or in groups), as well as move/scale groups of vertices at the same time.

So Richard, just know you are not a lonely voice out there.
Lets hope that together we can assist in the ongoing evolution of this really cool program.

Alex.

Richard Sands

DRAWING ENHANCEMENTS

Post by Richard Sands » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:32 am

Thanks Alex. Yes I also agree with the polyline vertex editing enhancements. Since writing the first post I have completed a 14 sheet engineering design for a subdivision with sewer, stormater, road and lot layouts. I was very greatful for the CAD side of Microsurvey but it certainly highlighted my comments earlier.
regards Richard