Rotation Angle in Cogo

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Rotation Angle in Cogo

Postby Tom1981 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:57 am

Hi,

I am working on a large development that spans several parcels separated by roads. I wish to keep the entire project in one coord base. Unfortunately the individual parcels have slightly different angular relationships to each other (based on the original surveys). Therefore when I set one site as per its base direction the other sites are off slightly. The previous surveys on the sites do not relate to each other.

Is there a setting in MSCAD that allows you to specify an angular correction to be applied to cogo calcs and inverses. I have seen the COGO Bearing Rotation setting but it appears to apply only to new calculations going into the database. If the inversve results applied the rotation then this would suit my purpose, but it does not appear to.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom1981

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:35 am

The COGO Bearing Rotation option is meant for when you are entering in an adjacent plan, to have us correct for the angular diference between the current job and the plan data being entered. It is not for inverses. I do not know of a way to have an inverse shown with a rotated bearing. Inverses are based upon the current drawing orientation only.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby carl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:41 am

Hi All,
Glen, it seems to me I posted a question quit similar to this quite a while ago (a couple of years?). It seems to me that this little function would come in quite handy to anyone in the survey business who works in bearing or azimuths rather than deflections or angles.

It sure would be nice if you could put this on some kind of wish list to see if it would be a popular funtion. I think it could be done similar to your input and output scale factors(which I use all the time). Have a toggle in your hot toggles box to turn the function off or on and then have the user input the correction between what he is entering and what his coordinate database is using.

Then if you turned this function on it would simply apply the correction to any bearings that are input or apply the correction to any bearings that are output by inversing.

Years ago I wrote this into software I created for my HP41 calculator and I used it all the time. Are there any other users out there who might find this handy?
carl

COGO

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:29 pm

I'll add my voice here in support. I'd suggest COGO & Batch Cogo could both benefit from the ability to input/ output bearing corrections 'on the fly'. Currently Batch Cogo doesn't have the ability to remember Rotations and if they are rerun and the toggle and correction isn't set then it doesnt get applied. When re running BC one can't stop in midstream as it were, change the correction and restart Batch Cogo. I use Batch Cogo on every property job and I would appreciate some enhancements including the 'Inverse' functionality to this excellent routine.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby carl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:56 pm

I remember now why I posted my question on this topic before. In our office we are quite often doing calcs using GPS data that is collected at UTM grid. When we do our calcs we can apply the scale factor correction so that we can do our calculations at ground yet we we are creating UTM grid coords.

If microsurvey had the capability to apply an Azimuth correction on input azimuths as well as output azimuths we could do our calcs with ground distances and a local assumed azimuth without having to rotate and scale our UTM grid coordinate database. For me that would be a very big deal.
carl

Return to MicroSurvey CAD